PCL CHAMPIONS the Redbirds Win Their First League
PCL CHAMPIONS! The Redbirds Win their First League Title Since 2009!
Wisdom Named Most Valuable Player of Championship Series
EL PASO, Texas - For the third time in franchise history, the Memphis Redbirds are champions of the Pacific Coast League after a 3-1 win over the El Paso Chihuahuas (Padres) in the decisive Game 5 of the championship series Sunday night in El Paso, Texas.
The 2017 crown joins 2000 and 2009 as PCL titles for the Redbirds, and it is Memphis' 15th championship in 119 seasons of professional baseball in The Bluff City dating back to 1877.
Patrick Wisdom was named Most Valuable Player of the series after hitting the decisive home run in the fifth inning, a two-run shot that gave the Redbirds a 2-0 lead. He also had a diving catch at first base in the eighth inning to end the frame with two runners on base and preserve a 3-1 Memphis lead.
Matt Pearce earned the win with 6.0 stellar innings, allowing just one run on five hits with eight strikeouts and two walks. Mike Mayers followed with 1.2 scoreless innings, and Sean Gilmartin was on the mound and got the lineout to Wisdom. Josh Lucas allowed the first two Chihuahuas to reach base in the ninth but finished off the championship for Memphis with three-straight outs.
The Redbirds now head to Scranton, Pa., to face the Durham Bulls (Rays), the winner of the International League, in the winner-take-all Gilden Triple-A National Championship Game Tuesday night at 6:07 (CT). The game will be televised on NBC Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 19, 2017
- PCL CHAMPIONS the Redbirds Win Their First League - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Wins 2017 Pacific Coast League Championship - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Mercado Dynamite in 10-1 Redbirds Rout
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-37) vs Colorado Springs Sky Sox (54-43)
- Redbirds Blanked by Colorado Springs, 1-0
- Travel Issues Delaying Tonight's Redbirds Game at AutoZone Park
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (62-36) vs Colorado Springs Sky Sox (53-43)