Park Hit Wins It for Wings
The Rochester Red Wings rallied for a 7-6 win over the Charlotte Knights Wednesday night at Frontier Field. The Wings host Toledo Thursday night at 7:05 p.m., on the annual Christmas in July promotion.
Charlotte got off to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Cody Asche hit a two-run home run off Wings starting pitcher Justin Haley.
Kennys Vargas led off the bottom of the second inning by hitting a line drive home run to right center field off Knights starting pitcher Carson Fulmer to make the score 2-1. It was Vargas' fourth home run with the Red Wings this season.
In the top of the fourth inning, Danny Hayes homered to extend the Charlotte lead to 3-1.
Haley went 4.1 innings giving up six hits, five earned runs, two walks and four strikeouts, as part of his rehab assignment from the Twins. He threw 84 pitches (54 strikes) before handing the ball off to Mason Melotakis.
Melotakis inherited runners on first and second with one out in the top of the fifth inning. He gave up an RBI single to Rob Brantley, followed by a passed ball that scored Rymer Liriano to give the Knights a 5-1 lead.
ByungHo Park hit a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to cut the Knights lead to 5-2. It was Park's sixth home run of the season.
Fulmer pitched 6.0 innings giving up two earned runs, four hits, four walks and four strikeouts on 89 pitches (52 strikes).
Drew Rucinski came in relief but let up a run on a Rob Brantley single that drove in Liriano to make the score 6-2 Charlotte.
Edgar Corcino led off the bottom of the seventh inning with a single, which extended his hit streak to seven games. Mitch Garver followed with a towering two-run home run to make the score 6-4. It was Garver's 13th home run this season.
In the bottom of the eighth inning, the Wings put together a scoring bid after one-out hits by Park and Tommy Field. Niko Goodrum drilled a single to bring home both runners, tying the game at 6-6.
Alan Busenitz came on in relief for the top of the ninth inning, getting three quick outs.
The Wings put two runners on with none out in the bottom of the ninth against Bobby Parnell. Matt Hague lined out to center, and Parnell went to a full count on Vargas before getting a pop out. That's when Park drilled an 0-1 pitch to the gap in left-center, bringing Shuck home and capping the comeback win.
Winning Pitcher: Busenitz (3-0)
Losing Pitcher: Parnell (3-3)
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.