Pareja Era Begins as Lions Launch 2020 Preseason
And we're back.
On Monday morning, the Lions took the field for the first time at the new home of their training operations - the Orlando City SC Training Ground.
It was a day of firsts in Osceola County, with the Oscar Pareja era officially underway as the 2016 MLS Coach of the Year led his first session with his new Club. With a combination of Club veterans along with plenty of new faces on the roster, Monday's first session was representative of a new chapter and a fresh start for everyone in City's camp.
Now with a few training sessions under the belt, Lions new and old have been able to gauge the style of the new man at the helm. Forward Tesho Akindele, who played for Pareja in his time at FC Dallas, had one word to describe it.
"His main thing is intensity. He's a very intense person on and off the field," Akindele said of Pareja. "He's going to demand a competitive attitude all day, everyday in training, so people need to be ready to be intense and bring that to practice."
As with any preseason, the last few days have matched the very intensity Akindele is describing. While there have been some touches on the ball, there is the typical emphasis on fitness and strength training any athlete would associate with the weeks before their respective season starts, along with double sessions.
To counter the physical demand of it all, however, is the excitement of getting back on the field. The energy is apparent amongst everyone - players, coaching staff and team personnel. It was especially evident with the coaching staff jumping into Thursday morning's rondos to get the session started.
Part of that energy stems from the high level of competition amongst this year's group. With the addition of big-name offseason acquisitions like Peruvian National Team goalkeeper Pedro Gallese and former Corinthians midfielder JÃºnior Urso added to an already talented City roster, there is an apparent level of competitive energy amongst the group.
"I've seen a lot of big name guys come in," Akindele said of the new faces on the squad. "I'm excited, I think we've brought in a lot of talent at lots of positions, lots of competition which is what we thrive on."
All of these elements considered, there is a lot to be excited about nearing the end of the first week of preseason. We've seen the team begin to gel together, with the new faces continuing to integrate themselves amongst the familiar, while getting our first glimpse of the new culture led by Pareja.
"He seems to get his message across in a very clear and concise way," defender João Moutinho said. "We've been doing a lot of physical stuff, we've had some tough sessions but I can see that he wants us to play good football and that's what we all want to do."
After the weekend, the Lions will travel to CancÃºn, Mexico to continue their training before returning to Orlando to host the Montreal Impact on Saturday, Feb. 8 in a preseason match at Exploria Stadium, the first chance for fans to catch a glimpse of the new-look squad.
Orlando City will open its 2020 MLS campaign on Saturday, Feb. 29 when it hosts Real Salt Lake at Exploria Stadium, with kickoff slated for 6 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 23, 2020
- Pareja Era Begins as Lions Launch 2020 Preseason - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Acquires Midfielder Gadi Kinda - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC's Randall Leal Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Players Gianfranco Facchineri and Patrick Metcalfe to MLS Homegrown Contracts - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Partners with America's VetDogs to Raise Future Service Dog 'Spike' - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC Sign Jayden Nelson - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union Announces New Partnership with Ardent Credit Union - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Signs Jake Mulraney from Heart of Midlothian F.C. - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Signs 2020 MLS SuperDraft Selection Joey DeZart
- Pareja, Nani Impressed with Preseason Progress
- Pepsi Post-Game Performance by Ally Brooke on February 29th
- PepsiCo Beverages North America Partners with Exploria Stadium as Official Non-Alcoholic Pouring Partner
- Orlando City SC Reveals 2020 Heart & Sol Away Kit Presented by Orlando Health