Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory
LOUISVILLE, KY - The Louisville Bats (38-57) have won the second game of the series against the Syracuse Chiefs (33-60) with Tuesday evening's 5-1 victory at Louisville Slugger Field.
Brandon Dixon opened the bottom of the second inning with his 18th double of the season, and a groundout advanced him to third. Alex Blandino later came to the plate with runners on the corners and doubled to deep right field, bringing home Dixon and giving the Bats an early 1-0 edge.
Phillip Ervin opened the third inning with a bunt single and then stole second for the 17th stolen base of his 2017 campaign. The Bats soon tacked on another two runs with Dixon's RBI single followed by Eric Jagielo 's RBI double.
In the fourth inning, Blandino drove his first career Triple-A home run to left center field. This leadoff solo shot extended Louisville's lead to 4-0.
The Chiefs picked up their first run of the game in the top of the sixth on a wild pitch by Cody Reed that allowed Greg Ross to score from third, lowering the Bats lead to 4-1.
Reed's night ended after five and two-thirds innings in which he gave up just one run on five hits. Reed also walked six batters and struck out three. Kyle McMyne came in to pitch in relief in the sixth inning, and remained in the game for two and one-third scoreless innings.
The Bats reclaimed their four-run lead in the bottom of the seventh with the help of Phillip Ervin's solo homer to left. His sixth bomb of the year gave Louisville a 5-1 lead over Syracuse, which would hold through the end of the game.
The series rubber game with the Syracuse Chiefs will take place on Wednesday evening at 7:05 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Right-hander Jackson Stephens (5-5, 4.84 ERA) will take the hill for the Bats, and Erick Fedde (1-1, 6.19 ERA) is slated to pitch for the Chiefs.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Bats to Celebrate 20th Season at Louisville Slugger Field
- Reds Caravan Visits Louisville Slugger Field Tonight, 6-8 p.m.
- Jody Davis Named 2019 Louisville Bats Manager
- Reds Caravan to Visit Louisville Slugger Field
- 2019 Reds Caravan Comes to Louisville, January 17