Our Real Heroes: Dr. Raymond Franklin & Dr. Steve Cheung
During the midst of the current global pandemic, there have been countless incredible stories of those working on the front lines - namely the healthcare workers at the forefront of the fight.
The Real Heroes Project is here to tell a few more.
A collaborative initiative between 14 professional sports leagues, The Real Heroes Project encompasses some of the biggest names in professional sports, each honoring a healthcare worker by covering their own name on their respective jersey with the one of their personal frontline hero.
Representing the Club are Orlando City captain Luis Nani along with two-time FIFA Women's World Cup Champion and Orlando Pride forward Alex Morgan, both dubbed representatives by Major League Soccer and the National Women's Soccer League, respectively.
The two will pay tribute to a duo of doctors from Orlando Health - Dr. Raymond Franklin and Dr. Steve Cheung.
Members of the Pathology and Laboratory teams at Orlando Health, Franklin and Cheung developed their own rapid test for COVID-19, one that would administer results in hours as opposed to days.
In the early stages of the crisis when the first possible COVID-19 patients arrived at the Orlando Health facilities, the two knew that the lengthy timeline for a result would pose numerous threats on the hospital in regard to capacity and resources. Therefore, they became steadfast on making sure those very threats didn't come to fruition.
With that, they locked themselves in the lab and after about a week or so of work, were able to reprogram a machine solely for COVID-19 purposes that would expedite testing results.
In doing so, the two prevented those very threats discussed prior. With streamlined testing, Orlando Health has been able to avoid an overhaul of its facilities and the massive influx of potential COVID-19 patients seen in some hospitals nationwide.
Instead they have been able to provide quick, accurate results for both its patients and doctors, allowing resources to be allocated effectively and its facilities to be occupied appropriately. In addition, they have provided a sigh of relief to the entire Orlando community.
In times of uncertainty, the fear of the unknown is often discussed. Less than two months ago, there were a lot of unknowns and today we are still faced with some of those same questions.
However, thanks to the work by Dr. Franklin and Dr. Cheung, members of the Orlando community can all breathe a little easier, knowing that the system at Orlando Health remains fully intact.
It is impossible to say what the current situation would look like without the work of Dr. Franklin and Dr. Cheung, but the impact of their efforts on the City of Orlando are far-reaching and simply cannot be understated.
That is why today and everyday, we will continue to embrace and celebrate The Real Heroes within our local community and at Orlando Health.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2020
- COO & Sporting Director Paul McDonough Provides Details on Individual Workouts - Inter Miami CF
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Forward Yordy Reyna Enters 14-Day Quarantine After Breaking Physical Distancing Protocols - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Wells Fargo Helps Earthquakes Extend Neighborhood Heroes Initiative - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC and Michelob Golden Light Say "Thank You MN" to Healthcare Workers - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Unites to Thank Frontline and Essential Workers - MLS
- Atlanta United players return to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground for individual workouts - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Partners with American Family Insurance and Gusto to Kick off Nurses Appreciation Week - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dash to Conduct Voluntary Individual Workouts this Afternoon, Dynamo to Begin Thursday - Houston Dynamo
- Our Real Heroes: Dr. Raymond Franklin & Dr. Steve Cheung - Orlando City SC
- MLSE Community Food Donation Program Expands to Include Bmo Field and Bmo as Partners Team up to Help 'Bring Toronto Back to Its Feet' - Toronto FC
- Today at Inter Miami: Players Begin Individual Workouts at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Know Your Opponent: New England Revolution
- Playoff Update: the Conference Semifinals
- Orlando City SC Eastern Conference Semifinal Matchup vs. New England Officially Sold Out
- Orlando City Set to Host New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday
- The Never-Ending Shootout