Otters to Host Erie SeaWolves Night to Benefit Chace Numata Scholarship
Erie, Pennsylvania - The Erie Otters announced today that the team will be collaborating with the Erie SeaWolves, Double-A Affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, to host a SeaWolves Night on Saturday, November 16 at Erie Insurance Arena when the Otters host the Mississauga Steelheads. Various fundraising efforts will be held throughout the night to benefit the Chace Numata Scholarship.
The evening comes following the passing of Chace Numata, the beloved Erie SeaWolves catcher who tragically lost his life in September. Numata was remembered by teammates as "the heart and soul" of the SeaWolves, which inspired the creation of a GoFundMe fundraiser by SeaWolves pitcher Logan Shore that has raised nearly $58,000 for Numata's family. In response to the overwhelming support, the Erie SeaWolves are establishing a scholarship in honor of Chace Numata that will benefit Erie students for years to come.
On the night the Erie Otters will wear Erie SeaWolves inspired jerseys based on the team's black uniform, featuring the Seawolves logo and a shoulder patch dedicated to Chace Numata's number 10. The team's SeaWolves jerseys will be put up for auction online after the game through November 22, with proceeds benefitting the Chace Numata Scholarship. Also, as part of the evening, the first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a #ForNumi keychain, the hashtag embraced by the team, Numata family, the Erie community and beyond following the news of Numata's accident.
"The entire city felt the impact of the loss of Chace Numata and it was incredible to watch Erie and the baseball community rally around and support the SeaWolves," Erie Otters Director of Business Operations Jaime Cieszynski said. "We certainly understand how players become engrained in the community and help grow our region, and Chace Numata was a wonderful representative in Erie for the sport and of life. We're pleased to continue to support the Numata family and the SeaWolves organization with this opportunity."
"The SeaWolves are proud to partner with the Otters on their efforts to raise money for the Chace Numata Scholarship," SeaWolves Assistant GM Greg Gania said. "The SeaWolves Community Fund will honor Chace's legacy by awarding four scholarships annually to varsity baseball or softball players from Erie County. Full scholarship details can be found at SeaWolves.com. We are also looking forward to hosting an Erie Otters Night at UPMC Park during the 2020 season."
In addition to jersey auction, limited edition baseball t-shirts featuring both the Otters and SeaWolves logos will be available for purchase. The shirt reads "Root, root, root for the home teams" celebrating Erie's hometown teams and the keystone symbol signifying their home state of Pennsylvania. Shirts can be purchased at the Otters game Saturday night with prices starting at $25.
Fundraiser tickets for the night can be purchased through the Erie Otters website for $14 plus fees, with $4 of each ticket purchase going directly to the Chace Numata Scholarship.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 12, 2019
- Petes Can Move into First Place with Win on Special Olympics Ontario Night - Peterborough Petes
- Frontenacs Acquire Christian Propp from the Soo Greyhounds - Kingston Frontenacs
- Hounds, Frontenacs Swap Goaltenders - Soo Greyhounds
- Preview: Firebirds Welcome the Sarnia Sting for Annual School Day Game Wednesday at 11 a.m. - Flint Firebirds
- 2019 London Knights Skills Competition Powered by start.ca November 27th - London Knights
- Mack Guzda Earns 'Huron Tractor Attacker of the Week' Honours - Owen Sound Attack
- Otters to Host Erie SeaWolves Night to Benefit Chace Numata Scholarship - Erie Otters
- Russia Ties CIBC Canada Russia Series with 3-2 Shootout Win in London - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie Otters Stories
- Gaudreau Saves 44 Shots, Sarnia Defeats Erie 6-3
- Greyhounds Outrun Otters 2-1
- Drysdale Invited to Team Canada Selection Camp for 2020 World Junior Tournament
- Fowler Scores Teddy Bear Toss Goal, But Petes Prevail 3-1
- Otters Fall to Rangers in Shootout on Thanksgiving Day