OT 6-5 Win for the Bulldogs over Flint
It was a wild, back and forth affair Friday night in Flint, Michigan with the Bulldogs pulling out the 6-5 overtime win over the Firebirds.
The 1st period ended 2-2 as Flint opened the scoring 41 seconds into the game while the Bulldogs took advantage of two mis-plays by Firebirds goalie Luke Cavallin, First Jan Jenik (1) blocked a pass by the goalie and put it into the open net, then just 28 seconds after the Firebirds took a 2-1 lead in the final minute, Isaac Nurse (7) caught Cavallin behind the net, ending the period knotted at 2.
The Bulldogs got their first lead of the game at 7:41 of the 2nd period as Arthur Kaliyev (32) scored 20 seconds into a power play to make it 3-2 with Flint tying the game eight minutes later as the middle frame ended 3-3.
The momentum shifts continued in the 3rd period as the Firebirds took the lead once again with a goal just 1:23 into the final frame only to see Arthur Kaliyev (33) respond with his second power play goal of the night to make it 4-4. After Flint scored with less than three minutes left in the period, the Bulldogs pulled goaltender Zachary Roy for the extra attacker with Logan Morrison (4) netting the game tying 5-5 goal with less than a minute left forcing overtime.
It only took Matthew Strome (18) 52 seconds into the extra period to send the Bulldogs home with a 6-5 win.
Hamilton out-shot Flint 41-38.
Hamilton was 2 for 6 on the power play while Flint was 0 for 5.
Flint goal scorers were Jake Durham (27), Vladislav Kolyachonok (2), Jack Wismer (6), Cody Morgan (3), and Ty Dellandrea (14).
1) Arthur Kaliyev (HAM)
2) Logan Morrison (HAM)
3) Ty Dellandrea (FLNT)
Hamilton returns home to FirstOntario Centre Saturday night when they host the Kingston Frontenacs at 7pm.
For more information on Hamilton Bulldogs flex packs and single game tickets go to www.hamiltonbulldogs.com or call 905-529-8500.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Sting Trounced by Powerful Ottawa - Sarnia Sting
- Trout Drop Second Game of Northern Road Swing - Mississauga Steelheads
- London Wins Spirited Game against Saginaw - London Knights
- Firebirds Win 6-2 Saturday, Improve to 4-2-1-0 in Last Seven Home Games - Flint Firebirds
- Zachary Roy Has First OHL Shutout as Bulldogs Win 4-0 over Kingston - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Attack Come Close in Erie, Lose 3-2 - Owen Sound Attack
- Coskey, Wilde Record Three-Point Nights in 6-3 Win over Spitfires - Saginaw Spirit
- Otters Continue Streak, Win Fourth Straight - Erie Otters
- 67's Comeback Attempt Falls Just Short in London - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Spirit Host Spitfires on 'Love Shouldn't Hurt' Night Saturday at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- OT 6-5 Win for the Bulldogs over Flint - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.