Osiecki Joins Dent on IceHogs Bench
Chicago, Ill. - The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have hired Mark Osiecki (oh-SEE-kee) as an assistant coach with the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League, joining Head Coach Ted Dent.
"We're thrilled to add Mark Osiecki to our coaching staff in Rockford," said Blackhawks General Manager of Minor League Affiliations Mark Bernard. "Mark's extensive experience with player development at the collegiate, junior and international level will serve as a great asset as we continue to build the future of the Chicago Blackhawks organization."
Osiecki, 44, most recently served as head coach at The Ohio State University from 2010 to 2013, where he posted a 46-50-16 record during his career with the Buckeyes. Prior to joining OSU, Osiecki spent six seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Wisconsin (2004 to 2010) and seven seasons as head coach and general manager of the United States Hockey League's Green Bay Gamblers (1997 to 2004).
The Burnsville, Minn., native has also held various coaching titles with USA Hockey, including with the 2010, 2011 and 2013 World Junior Championship squads. Osiecki earned two goal medals (2010 and 2013) and one bronze medal (2011) during his coaching tenure at the World Junior Championship.
During his playing career, Osiecki appeared in 93 career National Hockey League games with Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Minnesota from 1991 to 1993. He also spent parts of five seasons with Salt Lake, Kalamazoo, Detroit and Minnesota of the International Hockey League from 1990 to 1995. Osiecki represented the United States at the 1992 World Championships, appearing in six games during the tournament.
Osiecki will join the Hogs' bench for the 2013-14 campaign after the Blackhawks decided not to renew the contracts of IceHogs assistant coaches Steve Poapst and Ben Simon.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 9, 2013
- Osiecki Joins Dent on IceHogs Bench - Rockford IceHogs
- LHP Raley Recalled By Chicago - Iowa Wild
- Coyotes Re-sign Andy Miele - Portland Pirates
- Bob Kaser and hockey year in review on Episode 37 of Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Wolves Ink Kattelus - Chicago Wolves
- Jarrod Skalde Joins Admirals Coaching Staff - Norfolk Admirals
- Flames Prospects Attend Development Camp - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Re-Sign Hoggan and Paetsch - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Re-Sign Jared Gomes, Jed Ortmeyer and Zach Miskovic - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.