Ortiz Returns for 2018-2019
Knoxville, TENN. - Friday morning, the Knoxville Ice Bears' Head Coach, Jeff Carr announced Marcus Ortiz has been signed for the 2018-2019 season.
Ortiz, 25 from Garland, TX, made his SPHL debut last season with the Ice Bears, scoring 31 points (15G, 16A) as a rookie. Marcus also had a strong collegiate career at SUNY-Fredonia (NCAA III), earning himself 28 goals and 26 assists in 77 games played.
"He's a Nathan Horton (Maple Leafs) or Jarome Iginla (retired NHL) type player," said Carr of Ortiz. "I expect Marcus to be tough, agitating, and pestilent - the glue of the team - on and off the ice."
Ortiz proved to be a skilled skater, but his clutch scoring ability is what makes him stand out. In key moments throughout the season, Ortiz was able to seek out shooting lanes, scoring 3 game winners. Ortiz's strength and aggression fit well with Carr's roster, but his leadership qualities are what will make him a pivotal piece of the puzzle for Knoxville, this season.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Rail Yard Dawgs Sign Jeff Jones, Bring Back Cam Bakker - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ortiz Returns for 2018-2019 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Quad City Storm Adds Mueller and Harris to Roster, Hires Equipment Manager - Quad City Storm
- Mayhem Sign Experienced Winger Klecha for 18-19 Season - Macon Mayhem
- Havoc Invite Three from Free Agent Camp - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Knoxville Ice Bears Stories
- Protected Bears Announced
- Ice Bears Season Ends in Overtime
- Ice Bears Battle Havoc in President's Cup Semi-Final
- Ice Bears Grab Series Lead
- Bears to Face Macon