Ortiz Returns for 2018-2019
Knoxville, TENN. - Friday morning, the Knoxville Ice Bears' Head Coach, Jeff Carr announced Marcus Ortiz has been signed for the 2018-2019 season.
Ortiz, 25 from Garland, TX, made his SPHL debut last season with the Ice Bears, scoring 31 points (15G, 16A) as a rookie. Marcus also had a strong collegiate career at SUNY-Fredonia (NCAA III), earning himself 28 goals and 26 assists in 77 games played.
"He's a Nathan Horton (Maple Leafs) or Jarome Iginla (retired NHL) type player," said Carr of Ortiz. "I expect Marcus to be tough, agitating, and pestilent - the glue of the team - on and off the ice."
Ortiz proved to be a skilled skater, but his clutch scoring ability is what makes him stand out. In key moments throughout the season, Ortiz was able to seek out shooting lanes, scoring 3 game winners. Ortiz's strength and aggression fit well with Carr's roster, but his leadership qualities are what will make him a pivotal piece of the puzzle for Knoxville, this season.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Rail Yard Dawgs Sign Jeff Jones, Bring Back Cam Bakker - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ortiz Returns for 2018-2019 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Quad City Storm Adds Mueller and Harris to Roster, Hires Equipment Manager - Quad City Storm
- Mayhem Sign Experienced Winger Klecha for 18-19 Season - Macon Mayhem
- Havoc Invite Three from Free Agent Camp - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.