Orlando City SC Defeats NYCFC in OC Invitational
ORLANDO, Fla. (Feb. 16, 2019) - Orlando City SC won its first preseason match of the inaugural Orlando City Invitational on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over NYCFC at Orlando City Stadium.New York City took a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute off a long range shot from Maxi Moralez that just missed the fingertips of Orlando City Goalkeeper Brian Rowe.
The Lions answered just four minutes later with a goal from newcomer Tesho Akindele. A cross from Danilo Acosta found the head of Sacha Kljestan in the box, who flicked it behind to Akindele for the finish to even the match at 1-1.
Chris Mueller followed suit shortly after, giving the Lions a 2-1 advantage. Akindele added to his contributions on the night with an assist, sliding a ball down the left side for Mueller who smashed it home for the eventual game-winner.
NYCFC was reduced to 10 men in the 75th minute after Jonathan Lewis was sent off following his second yellow card of the evening.
In the 79th minute of the match, U.S. Youth National Team midfielder and Orlando City Development Academy product Jordan Bender entered the contest for City. Bender, 17, was signed in Nov. 2018 by Orlando City B as OCB's first signing for the inaugural USL League One season.
After the Academy product made his impact on the pitch, the Lions maintained control of the remainder of the match finishing the contest with a 2-1 victory.
City will host its second match of the Orlando City Invitational on Wednesday, Feb. 20, against the New England Revolution at 7:30 p.m. The Lions will open their fifth MLS campaign at Orlando City Stadium on Saturday, March 2 against NYCFC at 2:30 p.m. on Univision Deportes.
Tickets to all City home matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com or by calling 855-ORL-CITY.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2019
- Orlando City SC Defeats NYCFC in OC Invitational - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup Play against New York Red Bulls Saturday Night - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Opens Arizona Stint with 4-1 Win over Phoenix Rising FC - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational - D.C. United
- Adi, Mattocks record goals in FCC's first match of Carolina Challenge Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Minnesota United FC, 1-0, in Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Impact Defeats the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in Third Preseason Game - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Defeat LAFC 3-0 in Preseason Contest - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Drops 3-0 Contest against San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Defeats Seattle Sounders FC, 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Concludes Tucson Training Camp with Final Exhibition Match Versus FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Loan Logan Gdula to Phoenix Rising FC - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Signs Chase Gasper and Hassani Dotson - Minnesota United FC
- LyesMTLin Dallas for the eMLS League Series Two Tournament - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.