Opportunity on Table as Allison Deals Experience for Youth with Chicago
The Buccaneers have acquired forwards CJ Walker and Sam Stevens from the Chicago Steel today.
In return for the pair, the Bucs have dealt captain Eric Otto and Erik Urbank to the Steel.
This trade comes at a time when Dave Allison is looking for players to grasp their opportunity, and with the departure of two major roles of Urbank and Otto, the chance is there for players to grab the moment.
"On paper this may look like a move for the future... but the future is now and we want our guys to seize their opportunity," Head Coach Dave Allison said. "With this move, as well as key injuries, the door is open for our guys to step up and take advantage."
Walker brings with him 7 points in 36 games, and more importantly is a 99' birth year. He'll join Julian Napravnik and Tony Malinowski as the third Minnesota State Mankato commit on the Bucs roster.
The center-iceman Stevens, as a 2000 birth year, has played in 26 games for the Steel. Formerly of Shattuck St. Mary's Prep in Minnesota, he'll join fellow Shattuck alum Kaden Bohlsen, as well as becoming the first University of Wisconsin commit to wear a Bucs sweater this season.
Urbank and Otto certainly were cogs of this Buccaneer team and fall victim to circumstance more than anything.
With the departure of Otto and Urbank, a shock will certainly reverberate through the Buccaneer room, a shock that could jolt some Bucs to life.
Look for jump out of Des Moines come Friday, as there will be four players on the ice squaring off with their old teammates, as the Bucs head to Chicago to play the Steel. Not to mention that roles on this Buccaneer squad are clearly wide open for the taking.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2018
- Phantoms Surrender Lead Late, Prevail 5-4 in OT - Youngstown Phantoms
- Home Game Prep: Family Fun this Weekend with Tommy Hawk and Wiener Dog Races - Chicago Steel
- Storm Storylines - Tri-City Storm
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Steel Acquire Otto, Urbank from Des Moines - Chicago Steel
- Opportunity on Table as Allison Deals Experience for Youth with Chicago - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Happy Hour Specials When Stars Host Omaha Friday - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Des Moines Secures Welsher & Pick in Two-For-One Trade with Green Bay
- Bucs Acquire Boston College Commit TJ Walsh from Cedar Rapids
- Bucs Sign Isaac Novak and Patrick Schmiedlin to USHL Tenders Ahead of Draft
- Tom Mannino Named General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Des Moines Buccaneers
- Bucs Announce Reorganization