Oklahoma City Rallies for 5-1 Win over Round Rock
Oklahoma City Rallies for 5-1 Win Over Round Rock
Express Bullpen Collapse Spoils Masterful Dillon Gee Start
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers (14-14) scored four runs in the eighth inning to pull away from the Round Rock Express (13-17), ultimately claiming a 5-1 decision in Saturday night's series opener at Dell Diamond.
Round Rock RHP Tanner Scheppers (0-1, 8.18) suffered the loss after unraveling in the eighth inning. He allowed four runs on four hits in his first loss of the year. Oklahoma City LHP Jeremy Bleich (1-0, 0.00) collected the win, giving up just one hit while striking out two in 2.1 innings.
Express starter RHP Dillon Gee turned in his best start of the season. The righty went seven innings deep, allowing just one run on three hits. Gee struck out eight and didn't walk a batter in the no decision. He retired the first 13 hitters faced before Dodgers CF Trayce Thompson singled in the fifth. An inning later, Gee's only mistake of the night came on a 2-0 pitch that OKC 3B Drew Maggi lined over the wall in right field.
Round Rock evened the game at one in the bottom of the seventh. 2B Josh Wilson collected a one-out single before SS Jurickson Profar followed up with a two-out single of his own. 1B Ronald Guzman sent Wilson racing to the plate with a clutch single in the next at-bat.
However, Oklahoma City unloaded in the eighth inning. With Scheppers on to pitch, Maggi and 1B Max Muncy each notched one-out singles. DH Scott Van Slyke then grounded to Profar, who stepped on the second base bag to retire Muncy before throwing an errant pass to first that allowed Van Slyke to reach second base.
LF O'Koyea Dickson continued the inning with a double in the next at-bat to extend the OKC lead to 3-1. 2B Willie Calhoun then dealt the Express a death blow with a two-run homer to the berm in right field. The E-Train offense remained quiet in the final two innings to seal the team's fate.
Round Rock and Oklahoma City continue their four-game series on Sunday afternoon. E-Train LHP Christian Torres (1-0, 0.00) is scheduled to start against OKC RHP Jair Jurrjens (2-0, 2.51). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 1:05 p.m.
Single game tickets, season memberships, Flex Plans and Kids Club packages are on sale now. For more information on the Express, visit or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter !
Round Rock Express Baseball, owned and operated by Ryan Sanders Baseball, LP, is the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and a member of the Pacific Coast League.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 6, 2017
- Oklahoma City Rallies for 5-1 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Tie Franchise Record with Ninth-Straight Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville 7 El Paso 3 - Saturday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Fresno Snags Series Split with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- FINAL: Las Vegas 9, Tacoma 1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Sweep Bees, Score 49 Runs in Series - Reno Aces
- Hardwood to Hardball - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Swept in Biggest Little City - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Opening Weekend Festivities Take over Dell Diamond
- Round Rock Express Announce Entire 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Round Rock Express Announce Variety of Kids Promotions and Events
- Round Rock Express Announce Full Slate of Theme Nights for 2018
- Round Rock Express Announce Postgame Summer Concert Series Lineup