OHL & NHL Alumnus Mark Mancari to Join Sting as Assistant Coach
SARNIA, ON: Sarnia Sting General Manager Dylan Seca announced today that the Hockey Club has hired OHL & NHL alumnus Mark Mancari, as the team's Assistant Coach.
Mancari, (pr: Man-Care-E) joins the Sting following a fourteen-year professional hockey career that saw him play in 876 pro games, this included time in the National Hockey league with the Buffalo Sabres & Vancouver Canucks. Before retiring as a player in 2019 Mancari spent the past four seasons playing professional hockey in the German DEL.
The London, Ontario native immediately transitioned into a coaching career joining the Ontario Hockey League and the Niagara Ice Dogs for the 2019-20 season. Residing in London with his wife and three children, the opportunity with the Sting ahead of the upcoming campaign affords him the ability to be close to his family while conducting his coaching responsibilities. "I am tremendously grateful for this opportunity. I am looking forward to getting to Sarnia to meet all the staff, players and fans. I hope to bring my experience at many levels of junior and professional hockey to help these players reach their full potential. This team has great potential and I can't wait to get started. " Comments Mancari on becoming the latest addition to the Sting.
Sting GM Dylan Seca comments on the addition of Mancari: "The selection process was very competitive as we had several excellent coaches to choose from. In the end it came down to our focus on player development and we feel Mark has both the experience and demeanor to fully embrace our desire to work closely with our players. He is a great hockey guy and tremendous person that we are very excited to add to our group. On behalf of the entire organization I welcome Mark and his family to the Sarnia Sting Hockey Club."
Mancari played in a total of 271 OHL games all for the Ottawa 67's, tallying 161 pointsOriginally a 2nd round selection (34th overall) by the Ottawa 67's in the 2001 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection, the 34-year old already has an established connection with Sting staff. He and current Sting Coach Brad Staubitz suited up together for the 67's during the 2004-2005 campaign that saw them run all the way to the Memorial Cup Tournament.
Along with the addition of Mancari, Seca also announced today that Brad Staubitz will be named the team's Associate Head Coach.
Staubitz enters his 6th season with the Sting, first as Associate Head Coach"This a well-deserved promotion for Brad. He has put the time into this league and team over the last 5 seasons and is ready to take the next set of challenges and responsibilities as the team's Associate Head Coach. He is well-respected within our dressing room and organization. We welcome his passion and competitiveness to win, helping our players improve on a daily basis." Comments Seca on the announcement.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 11, 2020
- Hockey Canada Honours Arnsby - North Bay Battalion
- Clarke Named to Hlinka Gretzky Cup Under-18 Summer Selection Camp Roster - Barrie Colts
- Letang Named Assistant Coach for 2020 Canadian Men's U18 Team - Owen Sound Attack
- Hockey Canada Names Mason McTavish to Men's Under-18 Selection Camp - Peterborough Petes
- Brett Harrison Named to Hockey Canada's Selection Camp Roster for the 2020 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Oshawa Generals
- Holmes Invited to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- OHL & NHL Alumnus Mark Mancari to Join Sting as Assistant Coach - Sarnia Sting
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sarnia Sting Stories
- Rees, Perreault, McGregor: Strong Start in the Opening Week of the AHL
- Sam Bitten Signs Pro Contract in Sweden
- Sting & Imperial Sarnia Site Partner to Recognize Local Individuals Who Have Gone "The Extra Mile" During the Covid 19 Pandemic
- Sting's Bitten Raises $2,732 Through First Fundraiser for Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada
- Sting's Guy Raises $12,555 Through Movember Campaign