Offensive Onslaught Too Much for M-Braves
PEARL, MS -- The Mobile BayBears (6-8) used a five-run second inning to jump in front of the Mississippi Braves (7-7) early in game four of five at Trustmark Park Thursday night en route to a 12-0 victory to take the series with one game left to play.
M-Braves starter Max Fried (0-2) had his second short appearance in three starts this season, as the left-hander only lasted three innings, giving up six runs (all earned) on six hits. Fried was undone by inconsistent command, compiling four walks and one hit batter against two strikeouts.
Mobile threatened in the first, drawing three walks off Fried before stranding a pair to end the inning.
In the second, it was more of the same, as the BayBears used three singles, a walk and a hit batter to put the offense in motion. It was Zach Houchins' three-run homer in the second that blew the game open for Fried, as the two-out hit gave the BayBears the five run lead on four hits early in the game. A double by Andrew Daniel in the third would tack on another run, effectively ending Fried's day on the mound.
Right-hander Evan Phillips worked a perfect fourth in relief before coming apart in the fifth, where he gave up five runs without recording an out before giving way to Phillip Pfiefer. Mobile got a leadoff single from Jose Briceno to start the frame, but it was free bases that again hurt the M-Braves, as two walks loaded the bases for Andrew Daniel with nobody out. One swing later, the bases were empty and still nobody out, as Daniel crushed a ball into the left-field stands to make it 10-0 BayBears. Pfiefer would allow another run to score in the inning, but the damage was done, as Mobile took the 12-0 lead into the home half of the inning.
At the plate, Mississippi continued to struggle against the Mobile pitching staff. Starter Jordan Kipper (1-1) worked seven scoreless innings as he baffled M-Braves' bats with command. The righty spread four hits, a walk and three strikeouts across his seven innings, allowing only one runner to reach second base. Brandon Peterson worked the eighth and ninth in relief, giving up back-to-back doubles in the ninth to Travis Demeritte and Carlos Franco that plated the only run of the game for the M-Braves.
The series concludes Friday at 7:00 PM at Trustmark Park in Pearl. Fans can listen live on 103.9 fm or wyab.com.
Mississippi: 1 - 4 - 0
Mobile: 12 - 11 - 0
WP: Kipper (1-1)
LP: Fried (0-2)
The Mississippi Braves baseball team is the Double-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Since the inaugural 2005 season, over 115 M-Braves have gone on to play in the big leagues. The M-Braves have made postseason play four times and went on to win the Southern League Championship in 2008. Tickets are on sale now. Stop by Trustmark Park or call 888-BRAVES4 Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. For the latest news and updates, visit mississippibraves.com or connect with @mbraves on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram .
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Shuckers Score Early, but Drop Series Finale in Chattanooga - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Hang on to Top Smokies 4-3 in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Jumbo Shrimp Fall to Blue Wahoos 2-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Silence the Smokies' Bats - Tennessee Smokies
- Tampa Bay Rays' OF Colby Rasmus to Rehab in Montgomery - Montgomery Biscuits
- Finale Versus Montgomery Rained Out - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits and Generals Postponed - Montgomery Biscuits
- 8 Reasons to Catch the Biscuits this Homestand - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jumbo Shrimp Roster Moves - April 21 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Daniel Gibson Joins Generals - Jackson Generals
- Offensive Onslaught Too Much for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Pensacola off to Best Start in Team History - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Smokies Strong All Around in Double Header - Tennessee Smokies
- Elusive Eighth Inning Outs Undo Generals - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Take Both Games of Thursday's Doubleheader from Barons - Birmingham Barons
- Jumbo Shrimp Fall to Blue Wahoos 8-5 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Eight is Great for Biscuits in 9-5 Win - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.