Off Day Attitude Bleeds into Double-Header
GREENVILLE--The Asheville Tourists did not receive the memo that Wednesday's league-wide off day was only supposed to last one day. The Tourists played a double-header against the Greenville Drive Thursday night and for the second time this season were swept in both games. They lost Game One 10-3 and lost Game Two 3-1.
Game one started on a high note for the Tourists when Vince Fernandez hit a first inning Home Run off Mike Shawaryn on the first pitch he saw. Unfortunately, the lead was short lived. Greenville manufactured a run in the bottom of the first and blew up for four more in the third.
Jose Gomez extended his reached base streak to 18 games with a Home Run in the fifth inning to make it 5-2, but once again the Drive put together a big inning. Greenville scored five more runs in the sixth to take a 10-2 lead. The Tourists managed one in the top of the seventh when Taylor Snyder singled in Joel Diaz.
In game two, the Tourists fell behind 1-0 when the Drive scored an unearned run in the first. Willie Abreu tied the game with a Home Run to deep right field in the second inning. Asheville had a chance to take the lead in the third but they were unable to capitalize.
Greenville took advantage by scoring two runs in the bottom of the third. Lorenzo Cedrola led off with a triple and scored on a passed ball. The Drive's second run of the frame came on an RBI double by Ryan Scott; who finished the two games with three RBI.
Luis Castro led off the top of the seventh with a double after Bryan Baker worked out of a tough jam in the sixth. Once again, Asheville failed to capitalize. Castro was left stranded at second as the Drive closed out their double-header sweep.
Asheville has lost six of their last seven games and is a season worst five games below .500. The Tourists will look to turn things around on Friday night with a 7:05pm first pitch against the Drive.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2017
- Drive Game Story (): Tourists Sneak Past Drive 6-5 on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Start Hot, Finish Strong in 6-5 Win - Asheville Tourists
- WV Power Game Report - 5=2F18=2F17 - COL 3 WVP 2 (10) - West Virginia Power
- RECAP: Corredor Plates Five in 11-8 Win over Lakewood - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Walk-Off on Wild Pitch - Columbia Fireflies
- GAME RECAP: HIC 6, KAN 4: Dopico Spins Scoreless - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Augusta Cracks Open Scoreless Tie to Top RiverDogs, 9-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Off Day Attitude Bleeds into Double-Header - Asheville Tourists
- Early Smash Propels 'Hoppers Past Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.