Nuts Break Losing Streak with 7-4 Win
MODESTO, CA (May 3rd, 2013) -- It took nine tries, but the Nuts finally picked up their 10th win of the season after defeating the Blaze, 7-4, on Friday night at John Thurman Field.
With the victory, Modesto (10-18) snapped an eight-game losing streak, their longest such skid since 2001.
The Nuts came into the game struggling to hit with men in scoring position, managing just a .177 average on the season, but came through with five hits in 11 at-bats tonight.
Ryan Casteel continued his tear at the plate, leading Modesto with 3-for-3 effort, which included a go-ahead RBI single in the 6th inning to break a 4-4 tie. The Nuts sent their entire order to the plate in a three-run sixth, marking the first time they've accomplished that feat this season.
Casteel's RBI singled ended the night for Blaze starter James Allen (1-3), who took the loss. Trevor Story doubled in a run later in the inning against reliever Carlos Gonzalez, with Brian Humphries adding the final run with an infield RBI single to make it 7-4 Modesto.
Nuts starter Ben Alsup (2-2) become the benefactor after the Nuts rally, moving in line to pick up his second win of the year. Modesto's bullpen shut it down in the final three innings, allowing just two scattered singles the rest of the way, while racking up five strikeouts. Scott Oberg struck out a pair in a perfect ninth to pick up his sixth save of the year.
Bakersfield jumped out to a 2-0 advantage in the top of the first on a 2-run homer by Marquez Smith, but the Nuts were able to take advantage of some key defensive mistakes in the bottom of the inning to quickly retake the lead. A hit batter and an error at second base by Ryan Wright put two on to start the first. After a single by Casteel loaded the bases, Tyler Massey brought home the first run on an RBI groundout. With two outs, the next batter Harold Riggins blasted a 3-run homer to left to put the Nuts in front 4-2.
Riggins has now homered in consecutive nights, giving up him three longballs on the year.
Modesto will return at home to face the Blaze on Saturday night, with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. RHP Dan Winkler (2-1, 2.79) will take the mound for the Nuts, opposite RHP Carlos Contreras (1-2, 2.92) for Bakersfield.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 5, 2013
- Walters, Healthy West Disable Mavs - Lancaster JetHawks
- Four-Run First Helps Ports Past Visalia 7-1 - Stockton Ports
- Winkler, Massey Lead Nuts to 3-2 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Giants Suffer Third Straight Loss to Quakes - San Jose Giants
- Quakes Keep It Going with Fourth Straight Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Modesto Plates 3 Late Runs, Blaze Drop 4th of Series - Bakersfield Blaze
- Reynolds Quality Start Guides 66ers to Win - Inland Empire 66ers
- Nuts Break Losing Streak with 7-4 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Visalia Bullpen Vexes Ports in 5-3 Loss - Stockton Ports
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.