Nine Straight; Rancho Wins in San Jose on the 4th
San Jose, CA - Rancho Cucamonga got seven shut-out innings from Leo Crawford and a pair of homers to lock up their ninth straight win overall, downing the San Jose Giants in front of a sold-out July 4th crowd at Municipal Stadium on Wednesday night by a final of 3-1.
Omar Estevez smacked a two-run blast and Cody Thomas homered in the ninth to provide the Quakes with some extra insurance, as Rancho evened their longest winning streak since 2014 with their ninth consecutive win.
Crawford, making his first start since joining the Quakes from Great Lakes, was perfect through three innings and took a no-hit bid to the seventh.
With two outs in the seventh, Heath Quinn doubled off the wall in right field for San Jose's first knock. Crawford (2-0), who struck out seven and walked just one over seven innings, stranded Quinn by getting Jacob Heyward to pop up.
That set the stage for Estevez, who homered with two outs and Jeren Kendall aboard to make Crawford the pitcher of record, giving the Quakes a 2-0 lead against Giants' reliever Domenic Mazza (1-1).
In the last of the eighth, the Giants finally got on the board, as John Riley homered to left field off Jason Richman, making it 2-1.
Thomas answered that bomb in the ninth, with an opposite-field homer to make it 3-1. Thomas now has ten homers in the second half and five in five games against San Jose.
In the last of the ninth, Zach Pop closed out the Giants with three groundballs, recording his seventh save in eight chances.
Rancho (12-2, 47-37) will look for ten in a row on Thursday, sending Ryan Moseley (2-2) to the mound, opposite Jason Bahr (2-0). Game time on Thursday will be 7:00pm.
The Quakes return to LoanMart Field on Monday, hosting the Lancaster JetHawks in a four-game series. Game time on Monday is 7:05pm and tickets are available by calling (909) 481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from July 5, 2018
- Early Runs Too Much to Overcome in Eighth Straight Loss for 66ers - Inland Empire 66ers
- Early Surge Takes Ports to 9-5 Win - Stockton Ports
- Six Second-Inning Runs Send Nuts to 9-3 Defeat - Modesto Nuts
- JetHawks Blast Modesto on Fourth of July - Lancaster JetHawks
- Storm Take Extra-Innings Pitcher's Duel - Visalia Rawhide
- Giants Fall on the Fourth, 3-1 - San Jose Giants
- Nine Straight; Rancho Wins in San Jose on the 4th - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series