News: Lights FC Adds Defender Nico Samayoa to Roster on Loan from New England Revolution of MLS
LAS VEGAS - As Las Vegas Lights FC continues to reinforce its roster for a crucial mid-season United Soccer League push, the club on Monday added 22-year-old defender Nico Samayoa to the mix.
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Samayoa comes to Las Vegas on loan from Major League Soccer club New England Revolution.
Samayoa was selected by Revolution in the fourth round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, and is a native of Guatemala City, holding dual citizenship from Guatemala and the United States.
"We like that he will be the first professional to play in Las Vegas who is from Guatemala," Lights FC Technical Director Chelís said. "His characteristics, I think they really fit on this team. He's a center back who steps out, is always defending to the front, and can also play with the ball. He's vertical with his passing and dribbling and can also attack.
"He's an uncommon center back, which is the kind of center back we like. When he has the ball, he's thinking 'attack,' not just passing."
Prior to beginning his professional career this spring, Samayoa was a 4-year standout at Florida Gulf Coast University, three times earning All-Atlantic Sun Conference honors. He was named the Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 as a senior.
In Las Vegas, he'll join a back line anchored by team captain and Mexican National Team veteran Joel Huiqui. That unit has been a strong suit so far this season in USL play for Lights FC (3-4-4, 13 points). Samayoa becomes its second addition in recent weeks, along with LigaMX veteran Rodrigo Iñigo, who will be eligible to play for the club following the July 10 opening of the U.S. Soccer Federation's International Summer Transfer Window.
Lights FC is coming off of an offensive breakout performance in last Saturday's 4-1 home victory over Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, and is back in action twice this week - Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. on the road against Phoenix Rising FC, then Saturday at 8 p.m. back at Cashman Field vs. Seattle Sounders FC. Both matches will air locally on myLVTV, and stream nationwide on the ESPN+ app. Tickets for Saturday's home match start at just $15, and are available at LightsFC.com.
LIGHTS FC 2018 TICKET INFO
Single-game tickets for all USL regular season matches are on sale, starting at just $15. Purchase today by visiting LightsFC.com/SingleTix or by calling 702.728.GOAL (4625) during regular business hours. Tickets are also available for purchase at all La Bonita Supermarket locations in the Las Vegas valley.
Lights FC 2018 season tickets are also still on sale, starting at just $100 for the remaining 10 home-match schedule. Tickets for groups of 10 or more are also now on sale, starting at just $18 per ticket, with each ticket purchased including a free Lights FC scarf (valued at $20). For more ticketing inquiries, visit LightsFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 11, 2018
- Republic FC Single-Match Tickets for the Remainder of the Season Go on Sale June 12 - Sacramento Republic FC
- News: Lights FC Adds Defender Nico Samayoa to Roster on Loan from New England Revolution of MLS - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Current Unbeaten Streak Longest in North American Pro Soccer - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Weekly Update - OKC Energy FC
- Special Father's Day Promotions Saturday Night Highlight a Big 2-Match Week for Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- World Cup Watch Parties Schedule Released - Charleston Battery
- Louisville City FC Weekly Update - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Hit the Road to Face Penn FC in Mid-Week Tilt - Richmond Kickers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Red Bulls Second Half Surge Tops Independence - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Sign American Soccer Icon Eric Wynalda as Technical Director and Head Coach
- Defender Carter Manley Named to Final USL Team of the Week of the 2018 Regular Season
- Lights FC Closes 2018 USL Season with Hard-Fought 1-0 Defeat at Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Closes Inaugural USL Season on the Road at Sacramento Republic SFC
- Lights FC, Vegas Stats & Information Network (VSIN) to Produce Groundbreaking "Bet-Cast" of Regular Season Finale vs. Sacramento