Naturals Salvage Series Split with Win
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Northwest Arkansas Naturals made the most of their five hits on Thursday, scoring six runs en route to a 6-2 win over the Springfield Cardinals. With the win, the Naturals split the four-game series after winning the final two games.
The Naturals scored first in all four games of the series, getting on the board tonight with Yem Prades' first home run of the season off of Cardinal starter Seth Blair in the fourth inning. Northwest Arkansas added three more runs in the fifth as Roman Hernandez scored on an Angel Franco double, with Mitch Canham and Prades scoring on back-to-back two out, bases-loaded walks.
A solo home run from Audry Perez cut the lead to three runs in the bottom of the fifth. Matt Fields provided the Naturals' answer in the eight, hitting a two-run home run, his second in as many days, to give the Naturals a 6-1 lead. Fields made his first series against Springfield one to remember, finishing with five hits in 12 at-bats with two runs scored, two home runs and eight RBI.
Thomas Pham led off the eighth inning with a solo home run against Jon Keck, but Keck and Edwin Carl held Springfield to one baserunner for the rest of the game.
Justin Marks picked up his second win of 2013 in his second start, allowing one run on four hits with three walks and seven strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work. Blair takes his third straight loss, giving up four runs on four hits with three walks and five strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
The Naturals will travel down I-44 to begin a four-game series against the Tulsa Drillers tomorrow night. Noel Arguelles (1-2, 4.74 ERA) will start the series opener against Tyler Matzek (0-1, 3.38 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 25, 2013
- Naturals Battle out 6-2 Win on Thursday - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Salvage Series Split with Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Frisco Squanders Chances in Series Finale, 2-1 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Missions Edge RoughRiders 2-1 in Homestand Finale - San Antonio Missions
- Colt Hynes Promoted to Triple-A Tucson - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Get to Hernandez in 7th - Midland RockHounds
- Missions Hold off RoughRiders - San Antonio Missions
- Hooks Strike Late - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RoughRiders Come up Just Short in San Antonio, 5-3 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Sweep Travs; Bettis Sets K Mark - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.