Nashville Sounds Donate Copies of "Home Plate: Henry Kimbro and Other Negro Leaguers of Nashville, Tennessee" to Metro Nashville Public Schools
NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds Baseball Club announced today the donation of the book "Home Plate: Henry Kimbro and Other Negro Leaguers of Nashville, Tennessee" to every public middle and high school of Metro Nashville Public Schools as part of Black History Month.
The 41-page short story was written by Dr. Kimbro-Hamilton and her son, Patrick Hamilton. The book highlights the experiences and stories of Negro League players in Nashville and documents the history of the Negro Leagues specific to Nashville. Dr. Kimbro-Hamilton's father, Henry Kimbro, played for the Nashville Elite Giants prior to the team's move.
"I'm very pleased for the families that can now read about their loved one's contributions to Nashville and its rich baseball history," said Dr. Kimbro-Hamilton. "I'm also pleased for the many students who can now read about these heroes and learn about their careers in the Negro Leagues. Finally, I'm pleased with the Nashville Sounds organization for donating this book to Metro Nashville Public Schools. This is an important part of Black history of which is not currently in books for students. Knowledge is power and the Sounds have helped supply students the power of knowing the complete baseball history in our great city."
First Horizon Park is home to several markers and signage that pay homage to the role the Negro Leagues and Sulphur Dell played in the history of baseball in Nashville. Many of the Negro League players featured in the book are also featured at First Horizon Park. As part of Black History Month, the Sounds have highlighted those areas on the team's social media channels and can be viewed on the Sound Bytes Blog .
The Nashville Sounds are the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers and play at First Horizon Park. For more information on 2021 Season Ticket Memberships, call 615-690-4487, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from February 25, 2021
- Charlotte Set to Host 2021 ACC Baseball Championship - Charlotte Knights
- Longtime Voice of the Redbirds Steve Selby Retires - Memphis Redbirds
- All-Time 25, Victory Field Era Roster: Nos. 9-6 - Indianapolis Indians
- WooSox Invite College Students to Apply for Limited Number of Seasonal Internships - Worcester Red Sox
- Nashville Sounds Donate Copies of "Home Plate: Henry Kimbro and Other Negro Leaguers of Nashville, Tennessee" to Metro Nashville Public Schools - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Announce Group Outings for 2021 Season on Sale Now
- My Wine Society Brings Blended Festival to Nashville
- First Horizon Park to Host Music City Diamond Classic April 17 and 18
- Nashville Sounds Announce ESPN 94.9 as Flagship Station
- Nashville Sounds Bring Back Private Batting Practice Sessions at First Horizon Park