Nashville Soccer Club Opens 2021 Major League Soccer Season with 2-2 Draw against FC Cincinnati
NASHVILLE, TENN - Nashville Soccer Club opened up its second Major League Soccer season in with a 2-2 comeback draw against rival FC Cincinnati on Saturday night at Nissan Stadium.
This marks the fifth consecutive match between Nashville SC and Cincinnati between USL Championship and MLS competition that ended in a draw after regulation. Nashville will square off against Cincinnati two more times in 2021.
Comeback Kids: Nashville earned a result against Cincinnati with goals from Jhonder Cádiz and Randall Leal after falling behind 2-0 in the first 12 minutes of the match. The early 2-0 scoreboard was the largest deficit erased to earn a result in the club's MLS history.
Shots All Around: Nashville recorded 32 shots tonight, the most shots attempted in the club's MLS history. The 32 shots shattered their previous high of 21 that was recorded on Aug. 16, 2020 against FC Dallas. The team also recorded 13 shots on goal, which also set a new MLS team record. The previous high was seven, recorded twice on Aug. 16 against FC Dallas and Oct. 14 against Houston Dynamo FC.
Remarkable Randall: Randall Leal recorded his first goal of the season and fourth MLS regular season goal of his career with a beautiful chip from outside of the 18-yard box. The goal was his fifth overall in all competitions. Nashville now owns a record of 3W-2D when Leal scores a goal in a match.
Â The Boys in Gold will return to Nissan Stadium in a matinee matchup against CF Montréal on Saturday, April 24 at 1 p.m. CT as Nashville continues their four-match homestand.
CIN - Luciano Acosta (Ronald Matarrita) 8': Captain Luciano Acosta receives a ball from Ronald Matarrita in the attacking zone. Acosta alludes Nashville SC goalkeeper Joe Willis and finishes the chance.
CIN - Brenner (Penalty) 12': After a video review, FC Cincinnati was awarded a penalty kick which was ultimately converted by Designated Player Brenner after Joe Wills guessed the correct way.
NSH - Jhonder Cádiz (Randall Leal, Aníbal Godoy) 20t': Aníbal Godoy directs traffic in the midfield and dishes off a pass to Costa Rican Randall Leal. With his momentum carrying him to the 18-yard box, Leal sends in a pass across the box to Cádiz who slots home Nashville's first goal of the 2021 season.
NSH- Randall Leal (Unassisted) 64': Off a Nashville SC corner kick, Cincinnati cleared the attempt to Randall Leal who was positioned outside the 18-yard box. Leal settled his feet and sent a masterful chip that danced over the outstretched arms of Cincinnati goalkeeper Przemyslaw Tyton and hit the top corner of the post and ricochet into the back of the net.
Tonight, marked the first regular season meeting between Nashville SC and FC Cincinnati in MLS. The two sides met four times as members of the USL Championship and once in the 2020 MLS preseason.
Nashville SC set a new MLS club records with 32 shots recorded, 13 shots on goal, and 14 corner kicks attempted.
Nashville out-possessed Cincinnati 61.9% to 38.1% in the second half.
Nashville recorded 435 total passes in tonight's match.
Hany Mukhtar set a new career high in shots attempted with six. His previous high was five, which occurred on Sept. 6, 2020 against CF Montréal.
Forward Jhonder Cádiz has scored in his last two MLS regular season matches dating back to last season with a goal on Nov. 8, 2020 against Orlando City SC.
Randall Leal scored the tying goal in the 64th minute, giving him his fourth career MLS regular season goal. His four goals tie him with Hany Mukhtar and Daniel Rios for the most by a Nashville SC player in regular season play in history.
CJ Sapong entered the match in the 60th minute making his Nashville SC debut.
Dan Lovitz recorded 101 touches in tonight's match, the only player on either side to reach triple digit touches.
Walker Zimmerman logged 66 total passes, the most of any player in the match.
Alex Muyl led all players in tonight's match with eight tackles.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2021
- Andre Blake makes five saves, earns his 39th MLS career clean sheet - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes - LA Galaxy
- Fire Set for Road Game in Atlanta After Hosting Fans at Soldier Field in Home Opener on Saturday - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy to Kick off 2021 MLS Regular Season against Inter Miami CF Today - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Home Opener Is Officially Sold Out - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Opens 2021 Major League Soccer Season with 2-2 Draw against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Comeback Win over New York - Sporting Kansas City
- FCC earn a point in MLS season opener for first time - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC, Local Volunteers Paint Mural at New Community Soccer Pitch at TIRRC HeadquartersÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Wraps up Homestand with Win over New England to Remain Undefeated
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Wraps up Homestand against New England RevolutionÃÂ
- PLATINUM-Certified Artist BRELAND to Sing National Anthem at Nashville SC Match on May 8
- Nashville Soccer Club Set to Open Nissan Stadium at Near Full Capacity on May 23 on National Television