Mystics Sign Stella Johnson
WASHINGTON, DC - The Washington Mystics announced today that they have signed guard Stella Johnson after being issued an emergency hardship by the WNBA. Johnson joins the Mystics following Aerial Powers' right hamstring injury which she suffered on August 7 vs. the New York Liberty. Washington currently has less than 10 active players. Powers has already missed two games and is expected to be out for a significant period.
The first-year guard was signed by the Chicago Sky on June 29 after initially being selected by the Phoenix Mercury with the 29th overall pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft. Johnson was waived by the Sky on August 12, after appearing in four games.
The Denville, NJ native is one of the most distinguished players in Rider University women's basketball history, leaving as the all-time leading scorer with 2,167 career points, the program's first ever All-American and the only Bronc to be drafted into the WNBA. Johnson was also named as the MAAC Player of the Year twice (2018, 2019).
Johnson will be available for tonight's game versus the Los Angeles Sparks at 7:00 p.m. on ESPN.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 13, 2020
- Wings Take on Storm Friday - Dallas Wings
- Mystics Sign Stella Johnson - Washington Mystics
- Indiana Fever Launch "Auction for Action" as Part of #FEVER4CHANGE Initiative - Indiana Fever
- Postgame Notes - Atlanta 63, Seattle 100 - Atlanta Dream
- Game Preview: Aces Look for Sixth Straight Win in the Wubble, Thursday, on ESPN - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.