Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Myrtle Beach Blanked by Woodies in 2-0 Defeat
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (August 23, 2017) - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans' five-game winning streak was snapped on Wednesday night despite strong appearances out of the bullpen from David Berg and Marc Huberman, who combined for 4.2 scoreless innings, in the Birds' 2-0 loss to the Down East Wood Ducks at TicketReturn.Com Field.
Down East (54-74, 30-29) wasted no time in scoring off Myrtle Beach (69-60, 26-33) starter Kyle Miller (4-4). With one out in the first inning, Josh Morgan singled to right field before advancing to third on a base hit from Yanio Perez. Luis La O brought home the first run of the contest with a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Morgan.
La O and Preston Scott both reached base with back-to-back singles to open up the Wood Ducks' fourth inning. With La O and Scott later in scoring position, a wild pitch extended the Woodies lead to 2-0.
Down East starter Jonathan Hernandez (2-6) hurled 7.1 shutout innings for the Wood Ducks, striking out seven batters en route to his second win of the season.
Miller tossed 4.1 innings, yielding two earned runs on eight hits. Berg relieved Miller with one out in the fifth, and the right-hander went 2.2 innings of no-hit baseball before Huberman entered the contest in the eighth. The southpaw followed Berg with two more scoreless innings out of the bullpen for the Pelicans.
The Birds offense labored in the contest, as left-hander Adam Choplick finished off Myrtle Beach in the ninth inning to convert his eighth save of the 2017 campaign.
Myrtle Beach and Down East will play the rubber match game of their three-game set on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. Coverage will begin at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, TuneIn and the MiLB First Pitch app.
Thursday's contest will feature Old School Hip Hop night, with a celebrity DJ appearance from DJ Spinderella. The contest will also double as a Thirsty Thursday meaning $1.00 12 oz. Bud & Bud Light draughts and $2.00 16 oz. cans from 6-8 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 23, 2017
- Yamamoto Tosses Six Scoreless, Diaz and Hummel Homer in 7-0 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Myrtle Beach Blanked by Woodies in 2-0 Defeat - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys Come from Behind to Defeat Blue Rocks - Frederick Keys
- LYNCHBURG HILLCATS: Calica Homers in 7-3 Loss - Lynchburg Hillcats
- [Rocks Media] Rocks Drop Back-And-Forth Affair - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- WINSTON-SALEM DASH: Mudcats Blank Winston-Salem on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Pelicans Bring Game Day Experience to SBYSA Opening Days
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Pelicans Weekend Home Broadcasts Return to the CW21
- Weekly Specials & Giveaways Headline Pelicans' Promotional Schedule
- Pelicans Birthday & Anniversary Party Postponed
- Pelicans Single-Game Tickets On-Sale, includes Birthday Party for City of Myrtle Beach