Mustangs Drop Third Straight, Fall 7-2 to Rockies
BILLINGS, Montana - The Billings Mustangs (9-17) dropped their third straight game on Wednesday, falling 7-2 to the Grand Junction Rockies (13-13) in front of 2,524 at Dehler Park.
Billings got their first lead of the series in the bottom of the first on the power of four walks. Grand Junction starter Alfredo Garcia would have trouble finding the zone early, walking four in the first inning including Bren Spillane with the bases loaded to bring in a run. He would go just one inning in the start.
The Rockies responded immediately with three runs in the top of the second to take a lead they would never surrender. They also had a run walked in on three walks and a hit batter before Will Golsan singled in two for his second hit of the day. Golsan would be ejected in the fifth, finishing 2-for-3.
Andrew McDonald was sharp in relief for Billings, throwing two perfect innings and striking out four. He would be the only pitcher to not allow a run for Billings on Wednesday.
The Mustangs plated their second and final run in the seventh after a leadoff triple for Zeek White, his first of the season. He immediately scored on Reshard Munroe's RBI single to left. White went 1-for-2 with two walks in the game.
Grand Junction tagged on two insurance runs in the ninth on three hits including an RBI double for Hunter Stovall who has four extra-base hits in his first four games in the Pioneer League.
The Mustangs will look to snap their three-game slide Thursday against the Rockies in game three of the four-game series. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. at Dehler Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Osprey and Raptors Set for Game Three of the Series Thursday - Missoula Osprey
- Voyagers Roll Orem with Big Innings - Great Falls Voyagers
- Rox Even Record with 7-2 Win over Mustangs - Grand Junction Rockies
- Raptors Shutout Osprey in 11-0 Victory Wednesday - Missoula Osprey
- Mustangs Drop Third Straight, Fall 7-2 to Rockies - Billings Mustangs
- Second Inning Haunts Owlz in Game Two Loss - Orem Owlz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Billings Mustangs Stories
- Reds Name Mustangs Coaching Staff
- Mustangs Season Comes to An End with 9-2 Loss to Voyagers
- Defensive Mistakes Cost Mustangs in Game One Loss, 3-2 to Great Falls
- Mustangs Roll into Playoffs with Four Straight Wins
- Bullpen Throws Seven Shutout Innings in 6-3 Win