Muskegon Selects Seven Skaters in USHL Phase I Draft
MUSKEGON, MI - The Muskegon Lumberjacks completed the USHL Phase I draft Monday, selecting seven 2003-born players.
The draft process began nearly a month ago when Muskegon signed defenseman Dylan Gratton to a tender agreement, and concludes Tuesday with the Phase II draft in which Muskegon will make 20 picks.
Since Muskegon used their first-round, Phase I selection to tender Gratton, the Jacks' first pick was forward Paul (Danny) Minnehan, who netted 13 goals and added 24 assists in 30 games with the Los Angeles Jr. Kings program this year.
"Minnehan is a big body that we feel has NHL potential," said Hamilton. "He was a guy we identified at top 40 camp as a top prospect and were surprised he didn't make Team USA. We're really pleased we were able to draft him."
Here are all the Jacks' picks in the 2019 Phase I draft. Information includes position, name, hometown, goals-assists-points in '18-'19, and '18-'19 team.
Round two: F Paul Minnehan, Cypress, CA. 13-24-37 in 30g with Los Angeles Jr. Kings U16
Round three: F Sutter Muzzatti, Okemos, MI. 31-32-63 in 62g with Meijer AAA U15
Round six: D Jacob Guevin, Trois-Rivieres, QC. 9-16-25 in 42g with Trois-Rivieres Estacades
Round seven: F Ryan Humphrey, Northville, MI. 24-40-64 in 75g with Honeybaked U16
Round eight: D Patrick Morrissey, Canton, MA. 2-9-11 in 30g with the Dexter School
Round nine: F Bennett Barnes, Northville, MI. 1-0-1 in 17g with Compuware U16
Round ten: F Chase Stillman, St. Louis, MO. 19-36-55 in 24g with Sudbury Wolves MMAAA
"We had a very strong Phase I draft," said Hamilton. We addressed team needs and added many players with strength and skill, which is the style we want to play here in Muskegon."
Team Owner Bob Kaiser was present in the Muskegon war room and was thrilled with the players selected.
"We're excited to bring these hockey players to Muskegon," said Kaiser. "We are focused on bringing in high-character individuals and committed to their development as men and as hockey players."
Tomorrow's Phase II draft begins at 11:00am. Muskegon will make 20 picks to complete their 45-man roster.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 6, 2019
- Muskegon Selects Seven Skaters in USHL Phase I Draft - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Tri-City Completes Phase I of 2019 USHL Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Black Hawks Picks Are In - Waterloo Black Hawks
- RoughRiders Select 10 Players in USHL's Phase 1 Draft - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Saints Complete Phase I of USHL Draft - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Force Select Nine Players in 2019 USHL Phase I Draft - Fargo Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- "Play with Purpose Charity Hockey Game" Put on by Muskegon Lumberjacks Owner Bob Kaiser
- Gratton, Humphrey Named to US Under-17 Select Team
- Huge Award for Lumberjacks
- Muskegon Lumberjacks Announce Partnership with Jr. Jacks
- Muskegon Completes 45-Man Roster with 21 Phase II Draft Selections