Moran Three-Run Bomb in Sixth Lifts Grizzles Over Bees 5-2
The Grizzlies (9-9) beat the Bees (11-7) 5-2 Sunday afternoon for the first time this season (five games), snapping Salt Lake's seven-game win streak. Despite a season low four hits, four of the five Fresno runs scored following walks.
The Grizzlies scored two in the first to take an early 2-0 lead. The bases were loaded by consecutive walks from Tyler White, A.J. Reed and Teoscar Hernandez, followed by RBIs from Moran (2-for-3) and Derek Fisher to put Fresno on the board. The first inning is a Grizzlies best offensively, with 21 runs being scored in the opening frame. The second and eighth follow closely behind with 20 and 17 runs respectively.
Salt Lake would even the score 2-2 in the third. The two runs by the Bees were the only runs allowed by Grizzlies starter David Martinez who threw 91 pitches in his five and a third pitched. Martinez allowed 10 hits for the second time in his three 2017 starts, while striking out two.
With reliever Sean Isaac pitching for the Bees in the sixth, Moran crushed a homer to deep center to put the Grizzlies ahead 5-2. White and Hernandez scored on Moran's second home run of the season. The three-run bomb gave Moran a four-RBI game, his first and Fresno's second of the season (Hernandez 4/21 vs Las Vegas).
Bees starter Manny Banuelos (2-1) went five and a third, allowing four runs on one hit and five walks with three strikeouts for his first loss of the season. Fresno relievers combined to allow no runs on three hits and a walk with two strikeouts. Ashur Tolliver (2-0) earned his second win and Jordan Jankowski picked up his second save with a perfect ninth.
The Grizzlies and the Bees are back at it Monday night at 6:35 p.m. for the third of a four-game series at Chukchansi Park. Probable starters are RHP Troy Scribner (1-0, 1.69) for Salt Lake and RHP Keegan Yuhl (1-2, 9.24) for Fresno.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 23, 2017
- Moran Three-Run Bomb in Sixth Lifts Grizzles Over Bees 5-2 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Winning Streak Comes to An End - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Walkoff 8-7 After 13 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Falls in 13 Innings - Iowa Cubs
- Sky Sox Survive Sounds Rally, 6-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Dodgers Fall to Memphis, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Too Little Too Late for Sounds in Sunday Matinee - Nashville Sounds
- Jemiola Leads Isotopes to 3-2 Victory over Tacoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Anthony Banda Strikes out Triple-A High 11 in Aces Win - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Drops Game in Albuquerque,3-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Hangs on to Win 4-3 Sunday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Storm Chasers Quiet Baby Cakes, 4-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Tacoma 5, Albuquerque 3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Zagunis Grand Slam Lifts Iowa over Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Steal Saturday Matinee, 5-2 (UPDATED) - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sounds Come from Behind to Top Sky Sox 5-2 - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies "Wild About Reading" Program Reaches 1 Millionth Student
- Jake Owen to Play Chukchansi Park on September 15
- Fresno Grizzlies New Ownership Introduced
- Fresno Grizzlies Set 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Grizzlies to Play as Zamunda Lions on "Coming to Fresno" Night, June 21