Monterey Bay F.C. Earns Important Point in Scoreless Draw with Miami FC
WESTCHESTER, Florida - Monterey Bay F.C. (12-14-4, 40 points) drew scoreless after ninety with The Miami FC (13-8-10, 49 points) at Riccardo Silva Stadium to earn the Union an important point as the club continues its push for a spot in the playoffs.
Monterey Bay F.C. got things started by earning a corner in the 5th minute of the match, but the ensuing header by Chris Cortez was caught by the goalkeeper at the center of the box. In the 18th minute of the match, Miami FC earned its first opportunity on an overhead ball into the box to Josh Perez. His shot was knocked down by Antony Siaha before squeaking underneath the goalkeeper on its way into the net, but before it could cross the line, Hugh Roberts got to the ball to stop its momentum, allowing Siaha the time to scoop it up, officially thwarting the chance for the hosts. After earning a foul near the top of the box in the 41st minute, Miami FC curled a free kick on frame, but the shot was saved once again by Siaha and the sides strolled scoreless into the halftime break.
The Miami FC earned a corner kick eight minutes into the second half. It was played short before being whipped in from a different angle, but the Union defense cleared it away. A minute later, Miami FC's Perez attacked from the right side of the box and fired a shot towards goal, but his shot ricocheted off the far post and rolled parallel across the goalline before being cleared out by Roberts. Monterey Bay F.C. earned a free kick from just outside the box on the left side after Morey Doner was knocked down on his run to the ball in the 74th minute, but the free kick was cleared out for a throw-in. Three minutes later, second-half substitute Simon Dawkins drove the ball into the box and strongly weaved around a defender before shooting on frame, but his shot was pushed back into the box. With the ball loose in the box, Walmer Martínez unleashed the rebound, but his shot was also saved. In the final moments of added time, the Union enjoyed a dangerous spell to see the match out and the Crisp and Kelp earned a point on the road in a scoreless draw.
Up Next: Monterey Bay F.C. travels to Cashman Field for the rescheduled fixture with Western Conference side Las Vegas Lights FC on Tuesday, September 27 at 7 p.m. PT. The match can also be streamed live on ESPN+.
- The Crisp & Kelp now sit in 8th place in the Western Conference, just two points out of the 7th and final playoff spot, and only three points shy of 5th with four matches left to play in the campaign.
- Missing the match due to injury were Rafi Díaz (shoulder), Jason Johnson (quad), and Christian Volesky (hamstring).
Match: The Miami FC vs Monterey Bay F.C.
Date: September 24, 2022
Venue: Riccardo Silva Stadium; Westchester, Florida
Weather: Mostly cloudy and 81 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
The Miami FC 0 0 0
Monterey Bay F.C. 0 0 0
The Miami FC (4-3-3): Jake McGuire; Aedan Stanley, Paco Craig, Callum Chapman-Page, Mark Segbers; Boluwatife Akinyode (Claudio Repetto, 80'), Florian Valot, Devon Williams; Josh Perez (Adonijah Reid, 75'), Kyle Murphy, Christian Sorto (Lamar Walker, 69')
Subs not used: Noah Abrams, Luca Antonelli, Dennis Dowouna, Junior Palacios
Monterey Bay F.C. (4-2-3-1): Antony Siaha; Grant Robinson, Hugh Roberts, Kai Greene, Morey Doner; James Murphy (Mobi Fehr, 63'), Hunter Gorskie; Adrian Rebollar (Simon Dawkins, 63'), Sam Gleadle (Arun Basuljevic, 75'), Walmer Martínez (Jiro Barriga Toyama, 88'); Chris Cortez (Chase Boone, 75')
Subs not used: Carlos Herrera, Seku Conneh
Stats Summary: MIA / MB
Shots: 11 / 8
Shots on Goal: 5 / 3
Saves: 3 / 5
Corner Kicks: 9 / 2
Fouls: 14 / 15
Possession: 65.1% / 34.9%
MIA: Mark Segbers (caution) 11'
MB: Walmer Martínez (caution) 16'
MB: Grant Robinson (caution) 41'
MIA: Christian Sorto (caution) 46'
MB: Hunter Gorskie (caution) 86'
Referee: Jeremy Scheer
Assistant Referee: Noah Kenyawani
Assistant Referee: Albert Escovar
Fourth Official: Amiel Aleman
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 24, 2022
- Republic FC Falls to San Antonio FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fast Start Ends in Draw with Orange County - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Riverhounds Draw with Defending Champ Orange County - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Detroit City FC Ties FC Tulsa 2-2 - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Comes from Behind for a Point in Colorado - Oakland Roots
- Second Half Fireworks: Le Rouge and FC Tulsa Draw 2-2 - Detroit City FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Earns Important Point in Scoreless Draw with Miami FC - Monterey Bay FC
- Oakland Roots Head to Colorado Springs Looking for Three Game Win Streak - Oakland Roots
- Legion FC Ties against Tampa Bay Rowdies on the Road - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rowdies Battle Birmingham to a Draw - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Game Day: Hounds vs. Orange County SC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.