Monsters to Host Girls Street Hockey Clinics with Olympian Brianne McLaughlin
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters announced Thursday that the inaugural Monsters Girls Street Hockey Clinics presented by Dippin' Dots will be led by two-time Olympic Silver Medalist Brianne McLaughlin at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on Saturday, October 10th.
The Monsters Girls Clinics will be offered for girls ages 5-14 of all skill levels with a Beginners Session from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and an Experienced Session from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Both 90-minute sessions will include:
A 30-minute panel with the clinic coaches to discuss and ask questions about being women in hockey
A warmup for beginners led by the coaching staff that includes the hockey basics such as holding the stick and learning a proper stance
USA Hockey-certified instruction in the fundamentals of stick-handling, shooting, and passing
A socially distant meet-and-greet with McLaughlin and photo opportunity with her two Olympic Silver Medals
Participants can enroll online with just a $10 donation to the Monsters Community Foundation, which includes a specialty Monsters Girls Grow the Game T-shirt and a signed photo of McLaughlin. General COVID-19 health and safety protocols will be in effect for both sessions with additional information available here.
A four-year starter at Robert Morris University, McLaughlin began her hockey career in Northeast Ohio graduating from Elyria Central Catholic High School before embarking on her professional career with the NWHL's Buffalo Beauts. McLaughlin earned numerous accolades throughout her career including two Olympic Silver Medals with Team USA at the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympic games, as well as two Gold Medals (2011, 2013) and one Silver Medal (2012) at the IIHF Women's World Championships.
The Monsters Girls Street Hockey Clinics are an extension of the team's Grow the Game initiative which was established in 2017 to introduce new players to the sport of hockey while limiting barriers to entry. This inaugural girls-specific event is the first of several that will shine a light on the existing female hockey community in Northeast Ohio. Future events will be both virtual and in-person with the objective of highlighting the impact of women in hockey while connecting local girls and women with opportunities in Northeast Ohio.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 24, 2020
- Admirals Host Annual Garage Sale on Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters to Host Girls Street Hockey Clinics with Olympian Brianne McLaughlin - Cleveland Monsters
- Enter to Win 2 Tix to Every Arena Event in 2021 with a COVID-19 Test - Bakersfield Condors
- Rocket Agrees to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Forward Brent Gates - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement
- Monsters Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Justin Scott, Dillon Simpson, Brad Thiessen to AHL Contracts