Monsters End Season with 6-2 Loss to Marlies in Game 4
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters fell to the Toronto Marlies on Tuesday at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Game 4 of the best-of-seven North Division Final by a final score of 6-2 and were thereby eliminated from the Calder Cup Playoffs. With the win, Toronto claimed the series four games to none and advanced to the Eastern Conference Final.
Cleveland's Trey Fix-Wolansky scored his first professional goal 2:54 into the opening period to give the Monsters an early 1-0 lead with Dillon Simpson and Gabriel Carlsson collecting assists on the play. Zac Dalpe doubled Cleveland's lead with a power-play tally at 6:58 of the period courtesy of helpers from Fix-Wolansky and Tommy Cross.
Two Marlies players recorded four unanswered goals in the second period to claim a 4-2 lead for Toronto heading into the final intermission. Mason Marchment scored one minute into the frame and posted a subsequent power-play goal at 3:47. Then, Trevor Moore converted at 7:12 of the period before adding a power-play tally at 9:56.
In the third, Toronto's Michael Carcone scored at 4:56 and sealed a 6-2 Marlies win with an empty-net goal at 19:23 to end the Monsters' season.
Cleveland goaltender Brad Thiessen finished the postseason 3-5 following a 21-save performance while Marlies backstop Kasimir Kaskisuo posted 23 saves to improve to 7-0 in the playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 7, 2019
- Marlies Advance to Eastern Conference Finals - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters End Season with 6-2 Loss to Marlies in Game 4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Mattheos' Late Winner Gives Checkers 3-0 Series Lead - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Pushes Bears to Brink in Game 3 - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Game Four of North Division Finals - Toronto Marlies
- Forward Mason Shaw Undergoes Successful Surgery - Iowa Wild
- Flames Sign Carl-Johan Lerby - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Round 2, Game 3) - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to a Two-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract Through 2020-21
- Blue Jackets Loan Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to Monsters for Conditioning Purposes, Assign Forward Kole Sherwood to Cleveland
- Monsters Weekly: February 17, 2020
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters