MNUFC Signs Midfielder James Musa
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced it has signed defensive midfielder James Musa. The New Zealand international has a green card and will not occupy an international roster spot.
"James is one of them players who's been in and out of the league and he's been on that cusp of being in the league," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "We had a good long chat with James because we've got the likes of Hassani Dotson, Jan Gregus, Ozzie Alonso in front of him - a really competitive area of the field - and he's up for the challenge. Physically, he's very imposing, very athletic. Really good personality, he's very strong-willed and we think he's going to come in and try to compete. He knows it's going to be tough but he's prepared to embrace the challenge and compete for a starting spot. He's got the opportunity, so it's up to him to take it."
Musa, 27, joins the Loons after playing two seasons for USL Championship team Phoenix Rising. The midfielder started 20 games for Phoenix in 2019 and was a regular during the club's 20-game win and unbeaten streak in 2019 and during the club's playoff run, which ended in the semifinals against eventual USL Championship winner Real Monarchs. During his two seasons with Phoenix Rising, Musa played 54 games across almost 4,000 minutes with three assists and two goals scored.
A tall, athletic midfielder with experience playing in England, Australia and New Zealand, Musa adds defensive depth to the midfield. Musa began his professional career with Wellington Phoenix, a New Zealand team in the Australian A-League. He signed with Fulham FC, of the English Premier League, in 2012 and spent time on loan with Hereford United FC. Musa began playing for USL's Saint Louis FC before spending the 2016 season with Sporting Kansas City.
Tickets for the 2020 season at Allianz Field will go on-sale in early 2020, with special presales for season ticket members, members of The Preserve and subscribers to the MNUFC newsletter before the general public. Visit mnufc.com/preserve for more info on The Preserve and mnufc.com/newsletter for more info on subscribing to the newsletter.
Transaction: Minnesota United signs midfielder James Musa.
Date of birth: 04.01.1992 (27 years old)
Weight: 170 lbs
Birthplace: Plymouth, United Kingdom
Citizenship: New Zealand
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2020
- Philadelphia Union and Bimbo Bakeries USA Unveil Artesano Bakery Bread Brand as Away Jersey Logo - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Place Fanendo Adi, Jimmy Hague on Waivers - FC Cincinnati
- Know Before You Go: Kit Reveal Party Presented by Renasant Bank - Nashville SC
- Pressure Hardened Gallese Ready to Make MLS Impact - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $75,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Product Mauricio Pineda - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Acquires Peruvian Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese - Orlando City SC
- Midfielder Allan Cruz, Defender Mathieu Deplagne Become U.S. Permanent Residents - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Head Coach Adrian Heath - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Colombian Winger Cristian Dajome Via Transfer from Bogota FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Signs Veteran Defender Edgar Castillo - Atlanta United FC
- Impact to Play Five Preseason Games in Florida - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Sebastian Berhalter - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Unveils Official Training Ground at Ribbon Cutting Ceremony - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder James Musa - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Kevin Paredes - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.