MLS Unites to Thank Frontline and Essential Workers
May 6, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK, N.Y. - As part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform designed to educate communities, entertain fans and elevate heroic efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic, and to celebrate the kickoff of National Nurses Week, Major League Soccer unveiled a series of programming to thank frontline and essential workers.
Aiming to rally and inspire the soccer world, MLS Unites programming this week focuses on how clubs, players, coaches, staff, partners and fans are thanking frontline and essential workers during this unprecedented time.
MLS Players Salute Healthcare Workers in "The Real Heroes Project"
Fourteen of the world's largest professional sports leagues united for an unprecedented first time to unveil "The Real Heroes Project" a collaborative initiative to recognize and celebrate healthcare workers on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The Real Heroes Project" PSA debuted today, and features professional athletes, including Los Angeles Galaxy forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃ¡ndez, Toronto FC and U.S. Men's National Team forward Jozy Altidore and Orlando City SC forward Nani, dedicating their jerseys to a special healthcare hero who is helping their community on the forefront of this global crisis.
Throughout the PSA and personal tributes, athletes will cover their name on their jerseys or uniforms and replace it with the name of their healthcare hero. For photos and videos of MLS players personal stories, as well as the PSA, click HERE and follow #TheRealHeroes.
Johnson & Johnson Donating MLS Tickets to Medical Professionals
Johnson & Johnson, MLS' Official Healthcare Partner, has been actively engaged in fighting pandemics for over a century and knows frontline health workers are integral to the global response to COVID-19. The current crisis is demonstrating the essential, tireless, innovative and too-often undervalued role of health care workers and ensuring strong, resilient health systems for everyone, everywhere.
Throughout the crisis, Johnson & Johnson has been delivering essential support to health workers on the frontline. When MLS is able to return to play before the league's passionate fans, Johnson & Johnson will contribute tickets to medical professionals for MLS matches in select communities. To join Johnson & Johnson in thanking and supporting frontline workers, make a donation to the American Nurses Foundation Coronavirus Response Fund for Nurses online or by texting THANKS to 20222 to make a $10 donation.
For more information regarding how MLS' partners are supporting communities during the pandemic, visit mlssoccer.com/post/2020/05/04/mls-partners-unite.
MLS Unites was launched in partnership with the Major League Soccer Players Association. For additional ways the initiative is thanking frontline workers, follow #MLSUnites. For more information on "MLS Unites," visit MLSsoccer.com/MLSUnites.
A sampling of the way our clubs are positively impacting local communities is detailed below, with more to be featured on @MLS and @MLS WORKS, as well as club social platforms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2020
- COO & Sporting Director Paul McDonough Provides Details on Individual Workouts - Inter Miami CF
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Forward Yordy Reyna Enters 14-Day Quarantine After Breaking Physical Distancing Protocols - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Wells Fargo Helps Earthquakes Extend Neighborhood Heroes Initiative - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC and Michelob Golden Light Say "Thank You MN" to Healthcare Workers - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Unites to Thank Frontline and Essential Workers - MLS
- Atlanta United players return to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground for individual workouts - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Partners with American Family Insurance and Gusto to Kick off Nurses Appreciation Week - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dash to Conduct Voluntary Individual Workouts this Afternoon, Dynamo to Begin Thursday - Houston Dynamo
- Our Real Heroes: Dr. Raymond Franklin & Dr. Steve Cheung - Orlando City SC
- MLSE Community Food Donation Program Expands to Include Bmo Field and Bmo as Partners Team up to Help 'Bring Toronto Back to Its Feet' - Toronto FC
- Today at Inter Miami: Players Begin Individual Workouts at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.