Missions Show No Mercy in Double-Digit Win over Aces
San Antonio, Texas - There is not much to say about this game except that it was figuratively over before it started. San Antonio beat Reno by a score of 19-1 Tuesday night to sweep the four-game series. The Missions used back-to-back five-run innings in the first and second to take a commanding lead and then coasted the rest of the way. A four-run third didn't hurt the San Antonio effort either. Matt Koch was knocked out of the contest after throwing just 1.1 innings and surrendering eight earned runs on nine hits. The game started out on a positive note for the Aces thanks to a leadoff home run off the bat of outfielder Abraham Almonte...but that's where the fun stopped for Reno. For San Antonio, they had 22 hits in the game. Every starter in the Missions' lineup, including the starting pitcher, had a hit in the game. Five Missions scored at least three runs each in the game. First baseman, Jacob Nottingham, led the way offensively for San Antonio going 4-for-5 with a home run and six RBIs. Shortstop Tyler Saladino had five RBIs on the day and Cory Spangenberg had four RBIs and was a home run short of the cycle. However, Cody Decker did throw a scoreless eighth inning. The Aces will be back at it Thursday night at home with Taylor Widener on the hill at 7:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Abraham Almonte (1-for-4, HR)
Jake Lamb (1-for-4)
Lucas Luetge (2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 K)
Top Performers - San Antonio
Jacob Nottingham (4-for-5, HR, 6 RBIs)
Cory Spangenberg (4-for-6, 3B, 2B, 4 RBIs)
Tyler Saladino (4-for-6, 5 RBIs, 3 R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Off Day - - - - -
Notes & Information
Leadoff Home Runs: The lone bright spot offensively came on the very first pitch of the contest. Abraham Almonte leadoff the matchup with a big fly, his third of the series. It is the Aces fourth leadoff home run of the season. Tim Locastro owns the previous three (4/25 vs. FRE, 4/28 vs. FRE, and 5/12 vs. SL)
Last Time We Lost That Bad: It was never. The Aces have never been beat this bad. 18 runs in the highest margin of defeat in franchise history. The previous high was 17 which came on 5/1/14 vs. Las Vegas (19-2).
Series Sweeps: With tonight's loss, it clinched the third series sweep against the Aces this season. The other two happened on April 19-22 @ El Paso, and May 11-14 vs. Salt Lake. Reno has one series sweep in their favor this year coming on June 4-6 vs. Nashville.
The Legend Grows: Cody Decker threw a scoreless eighth inning without allowing a hit and using his famous eephus pitch that some say is slower than a snail traveling uphill. Decker maintained his 0.00 ERA this season. His last appearance came on 4/14/19 versus El Paso when he allowed just one hit. Decker now holds a 3.24 ERA in nine appearances over 8.1 innings in his pitching career.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Stingers, Star Wars and Jazz Included in Bees Homestand - Salt Lake Bees
- Jam-Packed Family Fun Scheduled this Weekend at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Berm Seating for Tuesday's Mariachis Game on Sale Tomorrow - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies Hold off Chasers 8-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Celebracion Cielo Azul Returns to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Keeping An Eye on the Minor Leaguers - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Break Off Leash in Series Finale - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Tacos sizzle by Storm Chasers 8-6 in the series finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Explode in Fifth to Blow past Dodgers - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Sweep Twinbill in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
- Missions Show No Mercy in Double-Digit Win over Aces - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada