Missed Opportunities Hurt Canaries in Game Two Loss to Explorers
The Birds were so close, and yet so very far.
The Sioux Falls Canaries reached their highest hit total of the season in the second game of their series with their I-29 rivals, the Sioux City Explorers. But the Canaries left nine runners on base and lost the game 7-3.
Sioux City opened the scoring in the second inning, when a Daniel Jackson RBI single and a Dexture McCall sacrifice fly gave the Explorers a 2-0 lead.
The Canaries rallied to tie the score over the next two innings, starting when Dan Motl scored a run on a Burt Reynolds double-play ball in the third.
In the fourth, Jabari Henry tied the score with a line-drive home run off the left field foul pole. Henry's second blast of the season tied the game at two.
As they have all series, Sioux City responded quickly. The X's scored two more runs in the fifth inning on an RBI single by Jay Austin and a fielder's choice off the bat of Jay Baum. The Explorers led 4-2 after the inning, a lead they wouldn't give up.
Chris Grayson cut the lead to one in the fifth with a solo home run of his own. Like Henry's, Grayson's longball was his second of the year.
Austin struck again in the seventh for the Explorers, scoring Michael Lang on an RBI single in the seventh. The hit chased Canaries starter Grady Wood from the game.
Wood gave up five runs over 6.1 innings Wednesday, allowing nine hits and two walks while striking out one. He was charged with the loss.
From there the Birds had opportunities to score but failed to cash in. The Canaries left a runner stranded in scoring position five times over their nine innings, including the fifth, sixth and seventh.
An RBI double in the ninth from Michael Lang brought the game to its eventual final score.
Sioux Falls drops to 2-3 with the defeat, while Sioux City moves to 5-1, good for first place in the South Division.
The two rivals meet one more time in the series tomorrow at 7 p.m. Canaries fans can snag their tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 24, 2018
- X's Keep Rolling with Win over Canaries - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps American Association - AA
- Missed Opportunities Hurt Canaries in Game Two Loss to Explorers - Sioux Falls Canaries
- T-Bones Record First Regular Season Home Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats 12 Hits Not Enough in 5-3 Defeat to T-Bones - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Canaries Stories
- Folman's Strong Outing Helps Birds Even Series
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday
- Big Fifth Inning the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts
- Missed Opportunities the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts