Mills dazzles in Portland's 3-1 win over Cats!
(Manchester, NH) - RHP Adam Mills (3-5) tossed seven strong innings and LHP Dustin Richardson notched his first Double-A save in Portland's (35-38)3-1 win over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (32-43) on Saturday night at Merchantsauto.com Stadium. The Sea Dogs have grabbed the first two games of the series in New Hampshire and 6 of 8 from the Fisher Cats in 2009.
Mills retired 16 of 17 after CF Darin Mastroianni's (1-for-3, HBP) single in the third inning and scattered only four hits, one walk and fanned four. 1B Brian Dopirak (1-for-3, HR, RBI, BB) provided New Hampshire's lone run with a solo homer to lead off the seventh inning. Dopirak is the league leader in home runs (18), RBI (57), hits (89) and extra-base hits (42).
Richardson stranded four runners over the final two innings to earn his first save since pitching with the Lowell Spinners in 2006. In the eighth, Dopirak popped out to third base to end the inning with runners at first and third base. New Hampshire rallied after two outs in the ninth inning on a single by RF Nick Gorneault (1-for-4) and a walk by 3B Al Quintana (0-for-3, BB). Richardson fanned pinch-hitter Luis Sanchez to end the game.
RHP Rey Gonzalez (3-5) allowed six hits and three runs over 6 IP to suffer the loss for New Hampshire. LHP Edgar Estanga fanned six over three scoreless frames in relief for the Cats.
CF Josh Reddick (1-for-4, HR, RBI) opened up the scoring with a solo-homer over the right-center field wall with one out in the third inning. Reddick's homer was his 8th of the season in just 33 games - he is now tied with 1B Jon Still and 3B Jorge Jimenez for the team lead.
Portland grabbed a 2-0 advantage in the fifth inning off Gonzalez. SS Argenis Diaz (2-for-4) and RF Reid Engel (1-for-4) began the inning with singles to center field. C Juan Apodaca advanced the runners with a ground out to the shortstop and Reddick was intentionally walked to load the bases. 2B Ryan Khoury laced the first pitch to left field for a sac fly to plate Diaz.
A strange occurrence brought home the third run for Portland in the sixth inning. Gonzalez's wild pitch struck out RF Reid Engel but scored 1B Lars Anderson from third base.
With a win tomorrow night, the Sea Dogs will win their first series since taking 2 of 3 from the Trenton Thunder on June 5-7 at Hadlock Field.
Portland and New Hampshire continue their 4-game set on Sunday night beginning at 6:35 PM. LHP Felix Doubront will face off against RHP Randy Boone. Catch all the action on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network beginning at 6:05 PM with the CorrectDeck Pre-Game Show.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 27, 2009
- Matusz, Deza Double Up Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Trenton splits DH - Trenton Thunder
- Big Blasts Lead to 8-3 Akron Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Gonzalez, Cooper strong in return from DL in 3-1 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt's Return is Short, B-Mets Upended 8-3 by Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mills dazzles in Portland's 3-1 win over Cats! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve fall in game two - Altoona Curve
- Defenders Win 3-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Defenders shutout Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Bowie takes game one of DH - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Game Notes for June 27 - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Game Notes for June 27 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Game Notes for June 27 - Portland Sea Dogs
- RHP Johnson signed by Yankees, added to Thunder roster - Trenton Thunder
- Chico joins Sens on MLB rehab - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Game Notes for June 27 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.