Miller's Two-Run Double Lifts Lynchburg over Salem in Regular Season Finale
Salem, Va. - The Lynchburg Hillcats notched their second comeback win in as many days on Monday, downing the Salem Red Sox, 3-2 in the regular season finale.
Lynchburg (71-66, 42-28) beat Salem (64-75, 31-39) to give them a 12-3 mark against their North Division rivals in 2018, including an 8-1 record at Haley Toyota Field.
Down 2-1 in the eighth inning, the Hillcats loaded the bases with one out, and took the lead on a two-run double from Anthony Miller, putting Lynchburg ahead, 3-2. Mitch Longo walked, while Trenton Brooks and Gavin Collins were hit by a pitch to load the bases.
In the series against Salem, Miller went 10-for-20 over the five games, with five doubles, two home runs and 9 RBI.
Lynchburg started the scoring in the first inning, when they loaded the bases with nobody out. Dillon Persinger was hit by a pitch to lead off the game, and both Longo and Nolan Jones walked. Brooks then hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Persinger to give Lynchburg a 1-0 lead. The bases were reloaded with one out after Collins was hit by a pitch, but Salem starter Kutter Crawford was able to strike out back-to-back hitters to limit the damage.
Crawford lasted 4.1 innings, giving up just one run on one hit, but walked five and hit a pair. He struck out five and did not factor in the decision.
The Red Sox were able to take the lead in the bottom of the fourth against 'Cats starter Kirk McCarty. Carlos Tovar and C.J. Chatham both singled to start the inning. After advancing to second and third on a wild pitch, Jerry Downs hit a two-run single to give Salem a 2-1 lead.
McCarty fired five innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits, striking out six. The Hillcats bullpen combined for four scoreless innings, with Micah Miniard going 1.2 frames, Jared Robinson tossing 1.1 and Dalbert Siri (Save, 15) pitching a scoreless ninth. The 15 saves for Siri is a career-high.
Kevin McAvoy (Loss, 1-6) allowed the two-run double to Miller in the eighth inning.
The Hillcats will host post-season games against the Potomac Nationals in the Carolina League Divisional Series on September 5 and 6 at City Stadium. Both contests will start at 6:30 p.m. Fans can purchase $2 tickets, $2 hot dogs and $2 beers at the game, as part of the Back-$2-Back Championship quest.
For tickets and more information visit lychburg-hillcats.com, the City Stadium box office, or call 434-528-1144.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Keys Drop Birds to Finish Season - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Miller's Two-Run Double Lifts Lynchburg over Salem in Regular Season Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Sox Fall 3-2 to Hillcats to Close 2018 - Salem Red Sox
- Woody Home Run Helps Lift Keys to Victory in Season Finale - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Survive in 5-4 Win in 10 Innings - Potomac Nationals
- Wood Ducks Drop Season Finale to the Dash - Down East Wood Ducks
- Blue Rocks Rally Falls Short in Season Finale - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash Clinch Second-Half Title with Win at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rodriguez Homers in 6-3 Season Finale Loss at Buies Creek - Carolina Mudcats
- Washington Nationals Extend Player Development Contract with Potomac Nationals Through 2020 Season - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (september 3 At Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, September 3 at Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- September 3 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.