Milkmen Take Inaugural Game from Goldeyes
KOKOMO, IN - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (16-11) lost 2-1 to the Milwaukee Milkmen at Kokomo Municipal Stadium on Friday night.
Cesar Valera drove in the game's first run with a two-out, RBI double in the bottom of the third. Milwaukee (12-16) took a 2-0 lead in the fifth on a two-out, RBI double from Sam Dexter.
The Goldeyes cut the lead in half in the top of the seventh. Kyle Martin walked with one out, stole second, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored when James Harris doubled off the top of the wall in centre.
Winnipeg pushed the tying run to third base in the top of the ninth before Milkmen closer Myles Smith recorded the final out to earn his seventh save of the year.
Milkmen starter Angel Ventura (2-4) picked up the win, allowing one earned run on three hits in eight innings. Ventura walked four and struck out eight.
Goldeyes' starting pitcher Ryan Johnson (1-2) took the loss, allowing two earned runs on eight hits in five and one-third innings. Johnson walked none and struck out two.
Tyler Garkow and Marcus Crescentini combined for two and two-thirds innings of scoreless relief.
The Goldeyes and Milkmen complete their series with a double header on Saturday afternoon. First pitch from Kokomo Municipal Stadium is at 12:05 p.m. Central Time. All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca Coverage begins at 11:00 a.m. with Around the Association.
The Goldeyes return home Tuesday, July 18th when they host the Chicago Dogs at Shaw Park. Advance tickets are on sale now by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2019 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 14, 2019
- Hello Darkness My Old Friend: Saints and RailCats Postponed in Eighth Because of Second Power Outage, Resume Saturday - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Fall to RedHawks in Rain-Shortened Affair - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Hit Three Home Runs in Win over Saltdogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Fall to Canaries, Lose Third Straight - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Milkmen Take Inaugural Game from Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lambson Goes Distance as Goldeyes Beat RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Drop Three of Four in Sioux City - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Rookie Shines in Debut and Bats Hot Again - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Miss the Sweep Train in Cleburne - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Close Homestand with a Walk-Off Win in 10, 3-2 over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.