Mercer Mashes Team USA Past Chinese Taipei
PANAMA CITY, PANAMA -- Indianapolis Indians infielder Jordy Mercer went 3-for-3 with three runs, two doubles, a home run, a walk, three RBI and a stolen base to help lead Team USA to a 15-1 hammering of Chinese Taipei for their first victory at the IBAF Baseball World Cup on Tuesday night.
The blowout win comes one day after Team USA suffered a tough 8-4, 10-inning defeat at the hands of Puerto Rico. Despite not collecting a hit in that contest, Mercer did play a role in Team USA's bottom of the ninth comeback, as he sent the game to extras with a run scoring fielder's choice.
Overall, through the first two games at the IBAF World Cup, Mercer leads Team USA with four RBI and is tied with C Travis d'Arnaud, the brother of former Tribe infielder Chase d'Arnaud, for second with a .375 (3-for-8) batting average. In what is the lone contest on the schedule for tonight, Team USA will look to move to 2-1 when they take on Japan at 5:00 p.m. in Panama City.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from October 5, 2011
- Mets Promote Bisons Manager Tim Teufel, Pitching Coach Ricky Bones - Buffalo Bisons
- G-Braves Award Grant to Gwinnett Ballet Theatre - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mercer Mashes Team USA Past Chinese Taipei - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Highly Touted Youngsters Could Fill Indy's Outfield for 2018
- Indianapolis Indians and Franciscan Health Announce New Partnership
- Short List of Catchers Battle Behind the Plate
- Indians to Wear Specially Designed Pirates Jerseys
- Tribe's Possible Infield Unit a Young, Versatile Bunch