Mercer Continues to Shine as Team USA Tops Japan 7-3
PANAMA CITY, PANAMA -- Indianapolis Indians infielder Jordy Mercer continued to excel at the IBAF World Cup as he went 2-for-4, scored two runs, drove in a run and drew a walk to help lead Team USA to a 7-3 win over Japan on Wednesday night in Panama City.
Mercer drew a one-out walk in the top of the fifth, and after a single by Chicago Cubs farmhand Brett Jackson moved him to third, he came plateward for the first run of the game on a base knock by infielder Joe Thurston. The Indians' infielder then drove home the Charlotte Knights' Jordan Danks with an RBI single in the sixth, before leading off the eighth with another base hit and coming home on a base knock by another Knight's batter in Andrew Garcia.
Mercer continues to lead Team USA and rank tied for third at the World Cup with five RBI, while also tieing for the team and Word Cup lead with five runs scored. With the win over Japan, Team USA improves to 2-1 and currently sits in fourth place in Group One with their next contest scheduled for 2:00 p.m. today against Greece.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from October 6, 2011
- Win a Night in a Luxury Suite in 2012 - Norfolk Tides
- Mercer Continues to Shine as Team USA Tops Japan 7-3 - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Highly Touted Youngsters Could Fill Indy's Outfield for 2018
- Indianapolis Indians and Franciscan Health Announce New Partnership
- Short List of Catchers Battle Behind the Plate
- Indians to Wear Specially Designed Pirates Jerseys
- Tribe's Possible Infield Unit a Young, Versatile Bunch