Mejia Pitches Gem, D-Braves Win Fifth Straight Series
DANVILLE, Va. - Dilmer Mejia's six scoreless innings willed the Danville Braves to its fifth consecutive series win on Wednesday night at Legion Field.
The D-Braves secured the series win with a 2-1 victory over the Burlington Royals, executing two out of three wins in the series. With the series win, Danville moves to 10-5-1 this season in its series record.
Mejia finished with 92 pitches struck out six, only allowing six hits all evening to the Royals lineup and earning a quality start for the fifth time this season. The southpaw improves to 4-3 this season and now owns the lowest ERA in the Appalachian League (2.10).
Danville only needed two runs to secure the series victory with both coming in the first inning.
In the bottom of the first, Henry Quintero smoked an RBI double over the shoulder of Burlington's right fielder Juan Carlos Negret to open the scoring. Danville extended their lead to 2-0 off a sacrifice fly from Ricardo Rodriguez, bringing in CJ Alexander.
The D-Braves' bullpen scoreless streak ended at 15 innings pitched as Tanner Allison gave up a one-out homerun to Burlington's Negret to left center.
The D-Braves will open a three-game set against the Kingsport Mets tomorrow at Legion Field. First pitch is set for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Duran Homers, Yankees Take Series over Rays - Pulaski Yankees
- Mejia Pitches Gem, D-Braves Win Fifth Straight Series - Danville Braves
- Cardinals Win Game Three against Pirates - Johnson City Cardinals
- Pulaski Yankees Add Live Cow Raffle to Agriculture Night Promotion - Pulaski Yankees
- Pen Stumbles in Pirates Loss - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.