Media Release -- Silvertips' Hart Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week
December 13, 2017 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, ON - The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Philadelphia Flyers prospect Carter Hart of the Everett Silvertips is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending December 3 after posting a 2-0-0-0 record including a shutout victory with a goals-against-average of 0.50 and save percentage of .984.
Hart becomes the second two-time winner of the award this season and first recipient in back-to-back weeks after turning aside 62 shots in a pair of victories extending the Silvertips winning-streak to five games and keeping them in third place in the WHL's U.S. Division with a 15-12-1-1 record. On Friday, he made 32 saves and earned second star honours in a 3-1 road win over the Kamloops Blazers, then stopped all 30 shots faced on Saturday as second star of a 3-0 win over the Saskatoon Blades. He also earned second star of the night honours in the WHL Saturday.
A 6-foot-2, 185-pound, 19-year-old from Sherwood Park, Alta., Hart is playing in his fourth season with the Silvertips who selected him in the eighth round, 158th overall, of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft. He now carries a record of 10-3-0-1 and leads all WHL goaltenders with four shutouts while his goals-against-average of 1.46 and save percentage of .956 are also top marks. The second round pick, 48th overall, of the Flyers in the 2016 NHL Draft now has 23 career shutouts which puts him just three shy of Tyson Sexsmith's WHL record of 26 set with the Vancouver Giants between 2004-09.
Hart is also just 59 saves away from 4,000 for his WHL career and is 658 minutes away from surpassing 10,000 minutes for his WHL career, adding him to a very exclusive list of goaltenders to surpass that milestone in their WHL career.
The Silvertips goaltender has compiled a 95-43-9-10 record in 163 WHL regular season games with a 2.07 goals against average and .924 SV%. Hart is a two-time winner of the Del Wilson Memorial Trophy as the WHL's Goaltender of the Year, having earned the honour in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons. He was named the CHL Goaltender of the Year in the 2015-16 season.
Hart has put together quite the run of awards in recent weeks. In addition to back-to-back Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week Awards, Hart has won the WHL Goaltender of the Week Award in the past three straight weeks, also capturing Vaughn WHL Goaltender of the Month honours last week.
Also considered for the award this week were a pair of past winners including Vancouver Canucks prospect Michael DiPietro of the Windsor Spitfires with a 2-0-0-0 record including a shutout victory making 69 saves for a goals-against-average of 1.00 and save percentage of .972, and Minnesota Wild prospect Dereck Baribeau of the Quebec Remparts who posted a 1-0-0-2 record with 90 saves for a goals-against-average of 1.25 and save percentage of .957.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2017
- T-Birds Dull Blades - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Raiders 4, Broncos 5 (OT) - Prince Albert Raiders
- Oil Kings Sign Pelletier - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Carter Hart Named Back-To-Back Recipient for Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week Award - Everett Silvertips
- Media Release -- Silvertips' Hart Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Chiefs News: Yamamoto Headed to Team USA's Wjc Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- CHIEFS NEWSLETTER:Bring Your Toys for Tots Donations to Chiefs Games... Chiefs Recall Hobbs... Win P - Spokane Chiefs
- Silvertips Collect 8,523 Stuffed Animals Donated Through T Eddy Bear Toss Presented by Jersey Mike's - Everett Silvertips
- Kral Invited to Czech World Junior Championship Pre-Tournament Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Addison Named November ATB Cane in the Community Award Winner - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Budik Heading to World Junior Camp - Prince Albert Raiders
- Carter Hart Named WHL Goaltender of the Week for the 12th Time in His Career - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.