McLAUGHLIN NAMED USHL FORWARD OF THE WEEK
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - The United States Hockey League ("USHL") announced Monday that Blake McLaughlin of the Chicago Steel has been named USHL Forward of the Week for the period ending Jan. 14, 2018 (Week 15). The Grand Rapids, Minn., native recorded seven points over the weekend, including his first career USHL hat trick as part of a career-high five-point outing in Sunday's 7-2 win over the Sioux City Musketeers.
McLaughlin, 17, is tied for second in league scoring with 32 points (14+18), only trailing linemate Jack Dugan's 34 points. The University of Minnesota (Big Ten) commit was recently given a 'B' rating by NHL Central Scouting as a 2nd/3rd round candidate for the 2018 NHL Draft, and one was of three members of the Steel roster to compete in last week's 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Kearney, Neb., recording one assist.
McLaughlin won two championships in 2017 - the USHL's Clark Cup with the Steel, as well as a Minnesota High School State Championship with the Grand Rapids Thunderhawks.
The 6-foot, 162-pound left wing won a silver medal with Team USA last month's World Junior A Challenge in Truro, N.S., Canada, while also representing the U.S. this past August in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup in Breclav, Czech Republic, and Bratislava, Slovakia. He also scored a goal in September's 2017 CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game in Buffalo, N.Y.
McLaughlin is the second Steel player to earn a weekly honor this season; Graham Lillibridge was named USHL Defenseman of the Week on Nov. 6, 2017 (Week 5). Chicago took home six Player of the Week awards last season.
Muskegon's Bray Crowder (Defenseman) and Madison's Dryden McKay (Goaltender) also earned Week 15 honors.
Chicago hosts a pair of games this weekend against Eastern Conference foes. The Steel face the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Friday, Jan. 19, and Team USA (U18) on Saturday, Jan. 20. Both games are scheduled to begin at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2018
- STARS ACQUIRE LOGAN JENUWINE FROM FARGO - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Acquire Defenseman Evennou in Trade with Muskegon - Tri-City Storm
- Stampede Announce Hockey Day in South Dakota on February 10th - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RoughRiders host pair of home games this weekend - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- FIVE-GOAL NIGHT LEADS STARS TO 5-3 WIN - Lincoln Stars
- 9 Former RoughRiders Nominated for Hobey - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Fighting Saints Add Goaltender James Durham - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Fighting Saints Add Bovbel, Assign Asplund - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- 1-15-18 McKay Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Madison Capitols
- U18s TROUNCE PHANTOMS 7-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- McLAUGHLIN NAMED USHL FORWARD OF THE WEEK - Chicago Steel
- USHL Players of the Week - Week 15 - USHL
- 1-15-18 Capitols Trade for Nordqvist - Madison Capitols
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.