McCarthy Following Club Debut: "I'M Trying to Make the Best of It and Keep PushingÃ¢ÂÂ
Goalkeeper John McCarthy made his Inter Miami debut in the midweek 1-2 victory on the road against the New York Red Bulls, replacing the injured Luis Robles in goal and making his first MLS appearance since September 2018. The Philadelphia-born shot-stopper had a solid performance, registering three saves as Inter Miami clinched its second away win of the campaign.
Ahead of Inter Miami's next match, McCarthy talked about getting the opportunity to play and what he feels he can provide for the team on the pitch.
"It's very sad what happened to Luis [Robles], you never wish that upon anybody. I wish him a speedy recovery and I know he'll come back stronger. But, to be able to play, I think it's an awesome opportunity. You put the work in all week and you hope to play, and now that I'm playing, I'm trying to make the best of it and keep pushing," said McCarthy.
"I just try to bring a voice to the game, I try to make the guys feel as confident as possible in front of me knowing that I'm behind them and I really stay on them when I have to," added the 28-year-old goalkeeper. "I'm going to push myself and push the guys as much as I can just like I do in training, and hopefully it turns out the same way on the field as in training and we keep getting three points. That's all that matters at the end of the day."
McCarthy was also pleased with the team's collective performance in the last match and hopes the victory serves as a positive impulse as Inter Miami enters the final stretch of the regular season.
"I think that the guys did great. A lot of guys had to step up and we really pulled together as a team.
"[The important thing] in this game over the weekend against Houston is getting three points, nothing else matters besides three points. I think for us to be able to possibly get an away win and get another win at home would be huge and maybe the pick me up we need for the group to push through the rest of the way," he concluded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 9, 2020
- Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 4-1 on the Road against New England Revolution II - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake to Face Whitecaps FC Saturday in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- October 10 Match against LA Galaxy Postponed - Colorado Rapids
- Saturday's Colorado Rapids vs. LA Galaxy Match Postponed - MLS
- LA Galaxy Match vs. Colorado Rapids Postponed - LA Galaxy
- McCarthy Following Club Debut: "I'M Trying to Make the Best of It and Keep PushingÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Acquire An International Roster Slot from Sporting KC and Edison Flores Activated from Injured List - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Acquires $50K in GAM from D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Major League Soccer and Wells Fargo Team up to Recognize Community MVPs - Colorado Rapids
- Trapp Ahead of Career Milestone: "I Just Hope for a Win for the TeamÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- New York Begin Back-To-Back Road Trips, Starting in Atlanta - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Host Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Stretch against Eastern Conference Opponents in Florida - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Hosts Nashville SC on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Rescued Sea Otter and Global YouTube Star Joey Featured on New Whitecaps FC Face Masks in Support of Vancouver Aquarium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.