Mattocks nets his fourth goal of preseason; Hertzog scores winner
TUCSON, AZ - Vancouver Whitecaps FC continued their preseason winning streak with an impressive win over Eastern Conference side Houston Dynamo at Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona on Saturday afternoon.
Despite conceding the first goal, Whitecaps FC equalised through Darren Mattocks in the first half before Corey Hertzog scored the winner after the break.
Rennie again made a raft of changes at the break to give as many of the squad a chance to build up match fitness as possible. There was a start for Jay DeMerit following his omission from Tuesday's match against New England Revolution and there was a further chance to impress Rennie for trialists Jaime Peters and Evan James who both came on in the second half.
During a frenetic first half, Camilo played in 2013 MLS SuperDraft fifth overall pick Erik Hurtado who saw his shot hit the post before hitting it over when the ball cannoned back to him after 29 minutes.
Shortly after, in the 30th minute, Houston won a freekick outside the Whitecaps penalty box and Giles Barnes swung the ball in for Bobby Boswell to head past Brad Knighton .
Vancouver weren't behind for long though as a long ball from Jun Marques Davidson was hit forward for Hurtado to chase. The young winger kept the ball in play and laid it off for Camilo who stormed into the box, laying it off for Mattocks to beat the keeper from close range on 33 minutes.
Halftime saw the introduction of new signing Daigo Kobayashi and he almost made an immediate impact, attempting a shot from his own half that in the end was a comfortable save for Tally Hall in the Dynamo goal.
Houston made a change in goal just past the hour mark and the man brought on soon had to pick the ball out of the net as Vancouver took the lead. Corey Hertzog capitalised on a poor back pass from the Houston defender and calmly rounded the keeper before finishing into the empty net.
Whitecaps FC saw the game out with Russell Teibert and Kobayashi looking composed in the centre of midfield. Kobayashi nearly scored from a cross in the 75th minute and was again denied when his free-kick was saved with seven minutes to go.
With a second win under their belts, Vancouver will be looking to carry their form into Monday's preseason match with Arizona Sahuaros at Grande Sports World, Casa Grande, Arizona. Kickoff is at 5 p.m. PT. Follow @WhitecapsMatch for live updates.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 2, 2013
- Mattocks nets his fourth goal of preseason; Hertzog scores winner - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dynamo Drops Scrimmage to Vancouver - Houston Dynamo
- Robbie Keane Rejoins LA Galaxy After Active Offseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Defeats Memphis 2-1 in First Scrimmage of 2013 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Independent Panel Rescinds Kendall Waston Red Card Versus Atlanta United FC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for Saturday's Home Match against LA Galaxy
- 2018 SuperDraft Pick Cory Brown Signs with USL Affiliate Fresno FC
- Whitecaps FC Appeal to Review Kendall Waston Red Card Versus Atlanta
- Marcel De Jong Named Jeans Day Ambassador for 2018