Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals
WORCESTER, MA - The Worcester Railers HC (15-16-3-2, 35pts) kicked off a four game homestand with a 4-1 win over the visiting Reading Royals (17-11-3-5, 42pts) in front of 4,324 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening. The Railers host the Manchester Monarchs on Sunday at 3pm and will wear a special baseball themed jersey to benefit Be Like Brit presented by Country Bank on a Kids Giveaway Sunday.
Bo Brauer (1-1-2), Matt Schmalz (2-1-3), and Nick Sorkin scored for Worcester while Evan Buitenhuis made 30 saves in net for Worcester for his 6th win of the season. David Quenneville and Connor Doherty each added an assist and were each +3 in a game that featured no power plays the entire game as the Railers closed out the first half of the season with a home win.
Neither team found the back of the net or ended up in the penalty box in the first period with Reading holding a 9-6 shot advantage through 20 minutes of play.
A much better tempo in the second period saw the Railers grab a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes of play. Matt Schmalz (5th) buried a Bo Brauer pass from on top of the crease just 35 seconds into the middle frame to give Worcester a 1-0 lead. Former Railers Frankie DiChiara (11th) made a nice move down the left-wing side and sick handled the puck through the pads of Evan Buitenhuis at 13:40 to tie the score at 1-1. Bo Brauer (2nd) scored in his second straight game after Matt Schmalz rushed down the right-wing side and Brauer batted a rebound from his hip and into the net from on top of the crease at 16:57 past goalie Callum Booth to give Worcester a 2-1 lead. Shots were 19-18 in favor of Worcester through 40 minutes of play.
Matt Schmalz (6th) scored a great individual effort goal as he skated down the right-wing side got around a defender before he cut across the crease and sent a backhander off the post and into the net at 10:18 of the third period for a big insurance goal. Nick Sorkin (8th) added an empty netter at 18:54 assisted by Connor Doherty to give the Railers the 4-1 home victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Evan Buitenhuis (30 saves, Win) 2nd star: Bo Brauer (1-1-2) 1st star: Matt Schmalz (2-1-3) .... final shots were 31-25 in favor of Reading.... Callum Booth (7-4-1) made 21 saves on 24 shots for Reading.... Evan Buitenhuis (6-7-3) made 30 saves on 31 shots for Worcester.... while Rob Lemelin served as the emergency backup.... Worcester went 0-for-0 on the power play while Reading went 0-for-0.... Kyle McKenzie (inj), Ivan Kosorenkov (inj), Yanick Turcotte (susp), and Malcolm Gould (inj) did not dress for Worcester.... Jeff Kubiak, Ryan Hitchcock, Matty Gaudreau, Mitch Gillam, and Mike Cornell are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers... defenseman David Quenneville returned to the lineup after missing eight games due to injury and picked up an assist and was +3....Worcester finished the season 3-0-0-0 vs. the Royals at the DCU Center and now 7-1-1-0 in nine games vs. Reading on home ice.....Connor Doherty, David Quenneville, Bo Brauer, and Matt Schmalz all finished +3 for the Railers....just a pair of matching roughing penalties were called in the game - it was the 2nd time this season neither team had a power play in a Railers game.
What's on Tap?.....Sunday Funday!
On Sunday, Jan 13 the Railers host the Manchester Monarchs at 3pm on a KIDS GIVEAWAY SUNDAY. Worcester will wear a special Railers baseball themed jersey to benefit the Be Like Brit Foundation presented by Country Bank. The first 1,000 kids 12-and-under will receive Railers sun glasses courtesy of Ecotarium. The Railers baseball themed jerseys will be auctioned off by the HandBid App through the end of the second intermission with a select few auctioned off postgame through a live auction. Score a SUNDAY FUNDAY ticket pack which includes four tickets and four beers or four tickets with four sodas and popcorns starting at just $60. Individual tickets start as low as $15 by calling 508-365-1750 or visit RailersHC.com. Save $$$ with a RAILERS 6 PACK which includes six flex tickets and a Railers winter hat starting at $99.
The Railers Tavern located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Nonna's (FRI, SAT, SUN) or Railers Tavern (MON-THU) or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2019
- Cyclones Bounce Back to Split with Mavericks - Cincinnati Cyclones
- IceMen Lose a Goal-Heavy Game in Duluth - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Win Streak Ends with 6-4 Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Record-Breakers Bligh and Nesbitt Lead Atlanta to Second Straight Win - Atlanta Gladiators
- Mavericks Shut out by Cyclones, 2-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout - Florida Everblades
- Florida Rides Insane Shooting Percentage, Beats Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Come up Short in Game One of Weekend Set with Nailers - Indy Fuel
- Beast Can't Complete Comeback and Fall in Overtime 4-3 - Brampton Beast
- Admirals Collect a Point, But Fall in Shootout 5-4 - Norfolk Admirals
- Ronning Rescues Mariners in Overtime - Maine Mariners
- Matt Schmalz Has Big Game for Railers in 4-1 Home Win over the Royals - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Triumphant on Nickelodeon Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop at Worcester, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- Shorthanded Thunder Stymied in 3-1 Loss to Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat Thunder 5-1, Win Fifth Straight Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Admirals, January 12, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Preview: Everblades Eye Sweep of Swamp Rabbits in Homestand Finale - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kansas City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Brodzinski, Donaghey Join Solar Bears in Norfolk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, January 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Series Continues Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals Hit Halfway Mark of Season at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Carr Gets Shutout in 3-0 Utah Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Closes Road Trip with Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lohan's First Career Goal Stands up as Game-Winner in 4-2 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Pochiro and Americans Rout Wichita 7-3 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Barnes Extends Point Streak to 13 Games in 6-3 Loss in Tulsa
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in 6-2 Road Win in Allen
- Railers Cough up Three Goal Third Period Lead and Fall 5-4 in Overtime in Maine
- Railers Battle Back But Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Visiting Cyclones