Match Preview: New York Red Bulls and Columbus Clash at Red Bull Arena on Saturday
New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew SC
2017 MLS Regular Season
Red Bull Arena - Harrison, N.J.
Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 7:30 p.m. ET
MSG, MSG GO, Red Bulls Radio
All-time series: 29-26-10
At home vs. Columbus: 17-10-6
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (3-3-1, 10 pts) continue their three-match homestand versus Columbus Crew SC (4-2-1, 13 pts) on Saturday at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. ET, with coverage on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio on Tunein.
Coverage of Saturday's match on MSG begins at 7 p.m. with Red Bulls Game Night. Steve Cangialosi will have the primary play-by-play responsibilities and will be alongside Shep Messing and Tina Cervasio.
New York Red Bulls Radio gets underway with Countdown to Kickoff, hosted by Matt Harmon, at 6:30 p.m. ET. Harmon will call the game in English alongside former MetroStar and Red Bull Steve Jolley while Ernesto Motta provides Spanish play-by-play.
After a 2-0 victory over Atlantic Cup rival D.C. United on Saturday, New York has blanked its first three opponents at Red Bull Arena. It is the first time in club history that the Red Bulls have not allowed a goal at home through the first three games of a season. Luis Robles has recorded 28 of his 42 career clean sheets at Red Bull Arena. He has a career 1.04 goals-against average at home.
Alex Muyl, a Homegrown, scored what stood as the game-winning goal against D.C. in the 46th minute. Last season, all seven Red Bull homegrown players combined for five goals. Connor Lade's goal in the 37th minute against Orlando City was the only game-winning goal by a Homegrown player last season.
Bradley Wright-Phillips is starting to heat up early on in 2017, tallying three goals in the last five matches. Wright-Phillips' pace is on par to how he had started the 2014 and 2015 season as he scored four goals in the first seven games in '14 and three goals through the first seven in '15. BWP, however, was held scoreless through the first seven games in 2016. Wright-Phillips scored at home for the first time in 2017 against D.C. on Saturday. He has tallied at least 10 goals at Red Bull Arena in his first three full seasons as a Red Bull.
The last five matches between New York and Columbus have been decided by one goal or less. The Red Bulls are 3-1-1 against the Crew during the stretch. Wright-Phillips has seen the most success for New York during the span, having scored at least once in each match, including two game-winning goals and a game-winning assist.
New York will wrap up its three-match homestand against the Chicago Fire on Saturday, April 29. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on MSG. The match will also be carried on New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 21, 2017
- FC Dallas Homegrown Players Pomykal and Reynolds Called Into U.S. Youth National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Play New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena - Columbus Crew SC
- Busy Week Wraps up on Saturday Night as Revs Host Old Rival D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Wondolowski Approaches Milestone, Hoesen Aims for First Goal Saturday in Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview | Minnesota United Set to Host Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Montreal Impact Takes on Union in Pennsylvania this Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- RSL Hosts Expansion Atlanta United Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC 2 Host San Antonio FC at Thunderbird - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Sign Residency Midfielder and Richmond Native - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Waive Mo Babouli - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: New York Red Bulls and Columbus Clash at Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps Face League-Leading Timbers Saturday in Portland - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Drops Three Points to Chicago at Home
- Match Preview: New York Welcomes Chicago for Annual Autism Awareness Match
- Red Bull Arena to Host Juventus F.C. vs S.L. Benfica in International Champions Cup
- New York Remains Perfect at Home, Defeats Montreal, 3-1
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Montreal for Saturday Matinee