Match Preview: Atlantic Cup Rivals New York and D.C. United Clash on Wednesday
HARRISON, N.J. - After earning a tough road point at New England, the New York Red Bulls (3-3-2, 11 pts) return to Red Bull Arena for back-to-back matches, beginning with Atlantic Cup rival D.C. United (1-4-3, 6 pts) on Wednesday. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
Coverage on MSG begins at 7 p.m. ET with the Red Bulls Pregame show. Steve Cangialosi will have the primary play-by-play responsibilities and will be alongside Shep Messing and Michelle Gingras.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 6:30 p.m. EST with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play responsibilities, beginning at 7 p.m.
New York and D.C. will meet for the 80th time in regular-season play and 93rd time across all competitions. D.C. has the upper hand in the all-time series in both categories, as they own edges in regular-season play, 34-30-15 and 43-35-17 in the all-time series. New York, however, has turned the table as they are unbeaten in the last 10 regular-season matches (5-0-5) and have only lost twice to D.C. United at Red Bull Arena (9-2-5) across all competitions.
Red Bulls Homegrowns Omir Fernandez and Ben Mines connected for a goal in New England to secure a 1-1 draw. Fernandez tallied his first goal as a starter, having tallied two goals and two assists prior as a substitute. Ben Mines recorded his first MLS assist in just his second career start, having previously scored his first MLS goal in his first career MLS start against Portland in 2018.
New York remains as one of the top MLS teams when playing at home, owning the best home record in MLS, with the most home wins and points, since Red Bull Arena opened in 2010. Alongside a top mark of 109-27-34 for 361 points, the Red Bulls are unbeaten in their last four home matches (3-0-1) and have posted three shutouts during the stretch. Four of Ryan Meara's five career MLS shutouts have come at RBA as he owns a 6-0-3 mark at home in regular-season matches with a 0.89 goals-against average.
New York remains at home on Sunday as they host Philadelphia Union. Kickoff at Red Bull Arena is set for 7 p.m. with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio.
New York Red Bulls vs. D.C. United
2020 MLS Regular Season Match 9
Red Bull Arena - Harrison, N.J.
Wednesday, September 2, 2020 - 7:30 p.m. ET
MSG, MSG Go, New York Red Bulls Radio
All-Time Series: D.C. United leads, 34-30-15
At New York: Red Bulls lead, 17-13-8
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 1, 2020
- Impact Topple Toronto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Loudoun United FC Lose 3-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on the Road - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face the San Jose Earthquakes Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host MiB Semifinalist Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Loans Midfielder Alejandro Guido to San Diego Loyal SC - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Impact Soccer Schools Unveil Programming for 2020-21 Season - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Kicks off Annual Unite & Conquer Cancer Month - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Notes - Minnesota United FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Celebrate Opening of Renovated Recreation Space at Midway Park in Des Moines this Thursday - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: We Meet Again - Orlando City SC
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Makes First Visit to Nashville SC on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC's Lineup Changes Prove Effective in Win over Inter Miami CF - Nashville SC
- Preview: First-Place Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United Signs Argentine Emanuel "Bebelo" Reynoso from Boca Juniors - Minnesota United FC
- MLS, Inter Miami CF Honor MLS's Kick Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlantic Cup Rivals New York and D.C. United Clash on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Continental Tire Joins Forces with Major League Soccer for 7th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - MLS
- This Week in MLS: 15 Olympic-Eligible Americans Registered Goals or Assists in MLS Last Weekend - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Suffers 3-2 Defeat to New England Revolution
- New York Welcomes New England Revolution to Red Bull Arena on Saturday
- New York Red Bulls-Inter Miami CF Match Rescheduled to October 9
- New York Suffers 1-0 Defeat to D.C. United on Sunday Night
- New York Battles D.C. United in First Round for Atlantic Cup on Sunday