Marvel Dominates Senators in Second Half Opener
CURVE, Pa. - The Altoona Curve opened the second half of their season with a 3-1 win over the Harrisburg Senators behind another strong start from James Marvel on Wednesday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Marvel (Win, 7-5) turned in the longest start of the season for a Curve (36-32, 1-0) pitcher with 7.2 innings as he held the Senators (42-29, 0-1) to one run on four hits. Marvel tied a career-best mark with nine strikeouts, the second he's recorded that total at Double-A, and sat down the Senators in order four times. He retired the last nine batters he faced en route to his team-best ninth quality start.
Marvel left only four outs for the bullpen. Blake Cederlind struck out the only batter he faced for the final out of the eighth and Matt Eckelman (Save, 10) picked up two strikeouts in a scoreless ninth. Eckelman has allowed just one hit and no runs over his last five outings with a save in all five.
The Curve scored their three runs over the first three innings for the second straight night. Robbie Glendinning opened the scoring with a first-inning, RBI single after Mitchell Tolman and Hunter Owen hit back-to-back singles to start the frame. Altoona sent eight men to the plate and scored two more times in the third when Owen ripped an RBI double to right-center and then scored on another RBI single from Glendinning.
Tolman finished the night 3-for-4 with two runs scored and Owen went 2-for-4 with his 15th double of the season. Glendinning, who came out of the game after the third inning, has four RBIs in his last four games since his return to Double-A.
The Senators managed five baserunners all night, including one over the final four innings, and scored their only run in the fifth. Chuck Taylor hit a ground-rule double to right with two outs and Rhett Wiseman followed with an RBI single.
Steven Fuentes (Loss, 3-2) started for the Senators and allowed three runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and one walk in five innings. Four relievers combined for four scoreless innings behind Fuentes.
The Curve are off on Thursday, then head to Hartford to start a three-game series with the Yard Goats on Friday, June 21 at 7:05 p.m. After their series with Hartford, the Curve will play three games in Richmond against the Flying Squirrels before returning home for a five-game, four-day series with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at PNG Field from Thursday through Sunday, June 27-30.
The series opener against Binghamton on Thursday, June 27 at 6:30 p.m. features a 90s-themed fanny pack giveaway for the first 500 fans, presented by the Altoona Grand Hotel. Gate will be open to fans at 5:30 p.m. The series will also be highlighted by two FIREWORKS shows and another Yinzers night.
For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on non-gamedays and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Baysox Big League Yard Goats to Launch Second Half - Hartford Yard Goats
- Marvel Dominates Senators in Second Half Opener - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Knock off Cats on Mazeika's Big Hit in 10th - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three-Run Sixth Lifts Thunder over Squirrels - Trenton Thunder
- Knight's Three Hits Not Enough in 'Cats Extra-Inning Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 64 Rumble Ponies at New Hampshire Fisher Cats - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- SeaWolves Begin Second Half with a Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Wade with Seven Innings But Erie Wins 3-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 19th at Erie SeaWolves - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks
- Curve Offering Ballpark Dining Thursday, Happy Hour on Friday
- Curve to Host Fourth of July Fireworks at PNG Field