Luke Voit Returns to Springfield Tonight
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The St. Louis Cardinals have announced that former Springfield Cardinal and Missouri State Bear 1B Luke Voit has been optioned to the Springfield Cardinals and is expected to be in the starting lineup at Hammons Field tonight.
The Cardinals take on the Arkansas Travelers tonight, Wednesday, June 13 at 6:30pm. Tonight's game is a Purina Woof Wednesday and C.A.R.E. Pet Supply Drive. If fans donate one of the listed Pet Supply Items on www.SpringfieldCardinals.com, they may purchase a $1 ticket to tonight's game for each item donated. Click the link below to secure tickets right now!
A 2016 Texas League All-Star, Voit is 2-for-4 with a home run in five games for St. Louis this season. He's played 34 games for AAA-Memphis, batting .237 with a .348 on-base percentage in 34 games in addition to one home run, 12 runs and 12 RBIs. Voit debuted with the St. Louis Cardinals on June 25, 2017. The Wildwood, Missouri native hit four home runs in 62 games during his rookie season in St. Louis, batting .246 with 18 runs and 18 RBIs. Voit recorded his first MLB hit in his first career start at first base on June 26, 2017. He homered three times over a period of seven games in 2017 (7/3-9) during the homestand prior to that season's All-Star Break.
Voit was named a Texas League Mid-Season and Post-Season All-Star for Springfield in 2016. After winning the Home Run Derby in one of the most dramatic moments in Hammons Field history, he was 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI for the North Squad in the All-Star Game that night. He led the Texas League in batting (.297), games played (134) and hits (143) during the 2016 season and ranked among the Top 5 in the league in RBIs (74, 4th), on-base percentage (.372, 3rd), extra-base hits (53, T3rd), triples (5, T3rd), runs (70, 3rd) and total bases (230, 3rd).
Voit played college baseball at Missouri State University and was a member of the 2012 NCAA Regional qualifying squad. He hit 19 home runs over four seasons (2010-13) with the Bears, batting .291 with 140 RBIs and 119 runs in 202 games.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Voit Homers, Shew Goes 7 and the Cardinals Win 4-3 - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Cannot Overcome Early Deficit in Loss to Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Claim First Place with 8-6 Win over Tulsa - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cardinals Hold off Travs in Trip Opener - Arkansas Travelers
- Four Riders Named Texas League Midseason All-Stars - Frisco RoughRiders
- Paige Hathaway Comes to Frisco for Exciting Weekend at Dr Pepper Ballpark - Frisco RoughRiders
- Luke Voit Returns to Springfield Tonight - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Send Seven to Texas League All-Star Game - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travs Fall to Naturals, Now Tied for First - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Struggles in Loss to San Antonio - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Joe Kruzel Named New Springfield Manager
- #CardsCaravan Is Almost Here
- Here's Your Chance to Own a Cardinals Grey Autographed Jersey
- Jack Flaherty to Highlight 2019 Cardinals Caravan in Springfield
- YADI Tumbler, 4 Cards Caps & 4 Tickets to Opening Weekend for Christmas