Louisville City FC Confirms International Call-Up for Midfielder Devon "Speedy" Williams
LOUISVILLE - Following a pair of international call-ups in 2017, Louisville City FC midfielder Devon "Speedy" Williams has once again been asked to don the Black, Yellow, and Green for the Jamaica Football Federation when the squad travels to Turkey to face South Korea in an international friendly on January 30.
"Any time you're representing your country, it's always a big deal. For me to continue to grow my status as a player and to continue to get called up, it's a great thing. I give thanks for every call I get," said Williams.
Jamaica's senior side will first face Romanian professional side, CS Gaz Metan Medias (ROM 1) on Saturday, January 27, before a match against South Korea, set for Tuesday, January 30. Both matches will be played in Turkey, according to the JFF.
The LouCity midfielder earned his stripes in last year's trips to Canada and Saudi Arabia. Coming off the bench in Jamaica's 0-2 loss to the Canucks in September 2017, Williams then started and featured for nearly an hour in Jamaica's 5-2 loss to World Cup-bound Saudi Arabia in October 2017.
"Games are always important," stated Williams. "Training is good and well, but when you're playing games and getting that match fitness it is always important." Williams will join fellow U.S.-based Jamaican internationals Kemar Lawrence (New York Red Bulls, MLS), Oniel Fisher (Seattle Sounders, MLS), Je-Vaughn Watson (New England Revolution, MLS), Owayne Gordon (loan - San Antonio FC, USL), and Dane Kelley (Reno 1869 FC, USL).
"It helps to work with other guys in the league. Most of us that have been called up are all pretty good friends. It makes everything a little bit easier," said Williams. "I'll be back right in time to go to preseason in Florida [on February 4]."
About Louisville City FC: Since its launch in 2014, Louisville City FC has been committed to serving the community of Louisville and state of Kentucky as the lone professional soccer team. The 2017 season marked the third year of play for LouCity in the United Soccer League (USL), a professional soccer league based in the United States and Canada. On October 26, the Louisville Metro Council voted overwhelmingly in favor of a new soccer-specific stadium in the Butchertown neighborhood with a projected opening slated for March 2020.
Finishing in the top five in average attendance in the USL at Slugger Field since 2015, LouCity's remarkable 2017 campaign included winning the USL Cup in the club's first appearance in the final.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from January 24, 2018
- Sacramento Republic FC Transfer Club Veteran Danny Barrera to Fresno FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Louisville City FC Confirms International Call-Up for Midfielder Devon "Speedy" Williams - Louisville City FC
- Roughnecks Add Jamaica International Midfielder Michael Binns - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Cannot Complete Comeback in 2-1 Loss to the Charleston Battery
- City Earns First League Win Since May with Resolute 2-1 Victory over the Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Louisville City FC and Goalkeeping Coach Thabane Sutu Agree to Part Ways
- LouCity, Toronto FC II Rescheduled Due to City's Cup Clash
- O'Connor Era Ends in Louisville with 3-3 Draw against New York Red Bulls II