Long-Time Chiefs Broadcaster Earns Promotion
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Chiefs announced today that the National Hockey League's Columbus Blue Jackets have added broadcaster Bob McElligott to the club's broadcast team. He will join veteran play-by-play announcer George Matthews on all games broadcast via the Columbus Blue Jackets Radio Network, including flagship stations WBNS-AM, Sports Radio 1460 The Fan, and WWCD-FM, CD 101.
In addition to his play-by-play duties with the Chiefs, the Somerset, Pennsylvania native also has broadcast the Chiefs weekly radio show, Inside Pitch. In 2007, he served as the radio broadcaster for the Triple A Baseball All-Star Game. Bob has also been the radio and television voice of the Syracuse Crunch, the current American Hockey League affiliate of the Blue Jackets. He has been a morning sports anchor on radio stations WSYR-AM, WSEN-FM, WFBL-AM and WOLF-FM and has broadcast Syracuse University football and basketball games for ESPN 360, as well as a variety of college and high school sports for Time Warner Cable.
McElligott will be replaced by Jason Bennetti, who has been serving as his broadcast partner this season. Bennetti is an SU graduate and has worked with Windy City of the independent Frontier League, as well as the Houston Astros single-A affiliate in Salem, VA. He also serves as the play-by-play voice of High Point University (Division I) basketball and is a pre-game studio host for ISP Sports, working with Florida State over the last two years and providing coverage of the Big East Basketball Tournament.
"We are thrilled that Bob has gotten an opportunity to go to the NHL," said Chiefs' General Manager, John Simone. "We are glad to able to move Jason into our top broadcast position."
McElligott will remain with the Chiefs until late July.
The Chiefs open a four game series, at home, tonight with the Rochester Red Wings. Tickets are available at the Alliance Bank Stadium Box Office, by calling (315) 474-7833 or online at www.syracusechiefs.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 7, 2009
- Tribe Powers Past Clippers - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk Rolls Tide Over Knights - Charlotte Knights
- Sabres' Tyler Myers to Throw Ceremonial Pitch at Bisons Game -July 7th - Buffalo Bisons
- Great Deals at DBAP This Week - Durham Bulls
- Long-Time Chiefs Broadcaster Earns Promotion - Syracuse Mets
- Iron Pigs vs. Red Sox Tonight - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre at Buffalo Tonight - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Announce 2019 Coaching Staff for Inaugural Season
- Nitro Circus' Renowned You Got This Tour To Hit Syracuse For The First Time This Spring
- Syracuse Mets Invite Community to NBT Bank Stadium for Open House, March 2nd
- Syracuse Mets Announce Annual Garage Sale Dates
- Governor Cuomo Announces NY Mets, County Close To Finalizing Lease Extension To Keep Pro Baseball In Onondaga County For Next 25 Years